Blue Rat Snake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

Blue Rat Snake

Post by LouB747 » September 10th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Earlier this year I found my first Japanese Rat Snake. While I knew they were in the area I was looking, I hadn't found one. Anyways, I finally managed one. I recently found my second, and it was a bit of a surprise.....it's blue! Not Blue Coral Snake blue, but still blue. It's always interesting finding a snake you didn't know existed. Sadly just an iPhone with me.

Video of the blue phase Japanese Rat Snake

I make these videos to share with you guys. Subscribe if you like. Knowing others enjoy my videos helps motivate me! I'll be switching to 4K soon (not iPhone 4k, but a dedicated camcorder) so hopefully the quality will go up.

Lou

SurfinHerp

Re: Blue Rat Snake

Post by SurfinHerp » September 11th, 2015, 7:53 am

Very cool snake Lou!

The video was cool too. I thought it was funny when you said 'don't want to do anything to threaten it', then two seconds later you're showing your bloody finger :lol:

I'm interested to hear more about the turtle in the video. Was it a common Japanese native species?

Cheers,

Jeff

LouB747

Post by LouB747 » September 11th, 2015, 8:17 am

Thanks. Yeah, the only way to get quality video was to get close. I knew I was pushing my luck. He actually bit me when I was moving him, but thought I'd edit it in a different way. As I rarely encounter rat snakes, I forgot they are good climbers. He tagged me while I had a hold on his tail section. I had to move him quickly as a few cars were coming. The looks on the drivers faces....priceless.

As far as the turtles, I see them occasionally. I don't know turtles at all, so can't say whether they are local or introduced. The locale is Narita, which is outside of Tokyo. I'll take more video and pics of the next one I see. Not sure of the species.

Thanks for watching.

LouB747

Post by LouB747 » September 11th, 2015, 10:13 am

Found this strange creature too. Thought it might be a blind snake of some sort at first.

Noah M

Post by Noah M » September 11th, 2015, 12:28 pm

Found this strange creature too. Thought it might be a blind snake of some sort at first.
The world is a strange and mysterious place.

simus343

Post by simus343 » September 11th, 2015, 2:30 pm

So, it is confirmed to be a horsehair worm? Are they parasitic of inverts such as praying mantids?

I made a post to guesses as to ID and notes about finding odd critters while herping - then I saw the vid title that it was a horsehair worm haha.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc » September 11th, 2015, 2:40 pm

What a magnificent snake.

daniel

Post by daniel » September 12th, 2015, 3:07 am

Nematophora, (Gordian or horsehair worm) probably just emerged from the mantis. They are often seen after rains. Pretty cool.

Awesome snake Lou!

Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn » September 12th, 2015, 7:59 am

I'm far from an expert but I think the turtle is a Japanese pond turtle (Mauremys japonica), I actually found it more interesting than the rat snake but thats just me.

LouB747

Post by LouB747 » September 21st, 2015, 5:53 pm

When I find another turtle, I'll take more video of it. Understand it's a Japanese Pond Turtle. Thanks.