Garters, northern water snakes, September, So New England

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ebit123

Garters, northern water snakes, September, So New England

Post by ebit123 »

There's a boggy spot we frequent that has tons of garters and water snakes all summer long. Last time we went there, which was a warm day in early September , very few. Just a couple of neonates /juvenile garters., and 1 water snake. So, I'm curious, at what point would these snakes start traveling to winter dens, esp considering we have had such a warm September ? How far are the winter dens? Do th ey ever hibernate/brumate in the same location as their summer spots?
MCHerper

Re: Garters, northern water snakes, September, So New Englan

Post by MCHerper »

Hi Ebit,

Here is what I know for sure complemented by some inferences based on my experience and observations :D :

Foremost, there are several shifts in a garter snake's behavior over its period of activity. I find them most often in spring near creeks and streams, hunting for anurans. They seem to be completely diurnal during this time, often found between 10 am and 2 or 3 pm. In summer, their activity changes to early in the morning and later in the evening. They bask and forage in the morning, but their need to thermoregulate during the day sends them toward cooler, shadier microhabitats to wait out the day and re-emerge in the evening. This shift also coincides with the anurans being more active later in the day (toward evening) as well. In autumn, I do see a large burst of activity with garter snakes. They seem to be everywhere within their range, and this seems to be a 'last hurrah' of activity while moving back toward hibernacula and preparing for the winter. Their activity in autumn is, as far as I know, completely diurnal.

A garter snake's home range vs. proximity to hibernacula depends on the proximity of food, shelter, and birthing area to the hibernaculum. In other words, since snakes are ectotherms and are conserving their energy, if their food and shelter are available within close proximity to the hibernacula, then they will not move far. However, there are circumstances where they will sometimes have to travel a large distance to hibernacula.

For the water snakes, they share a similar shift in their activity. In spring, their activity is diurnal, they can be seen basking, and seem to spend more time out of the water than in (at least to me). My guess would be that their need to thermoregulate means that they will spend more time basking if this keeps their body temperature warmer than the temps of the water, which is still cooler at the time. Here in NJ, somewhere around July 1st they switch almost overnight to being crepuscular/nocturnal. I know of one stream where I can go in early July and at 4 pm there are no Nerodia but at 5 pm they emerge and at 6pm they seem to be everywhere. Later in the summer they seem to become erratic and are more likely to be flipped under debris. I'm thinking that as the water temps begin to shift they are spending less time in the water but are still thermoregulating under debris that warms in open areas. I sometimes see them in streams in the fall but not necessarily basking. I'm sure others have had different experiences, but almost all of my water snake basking observations have been before July.

As far as hibernacula locations, I think that it's more likely that water snakes will have 'active period' ranges near their hibernacula than garters. Water snakes tend to hibernate in dams, foundations, and in rock crevices and crayfish burrows below the frost line.
Garters tend toward similar locations, but also rotting stumps, etc. Garters may also submerge when hibernating (found one under shale next to a stream in January). I read more about this and apparently this helps with not only stabilizing temperature fluctuations and the resulting stresses, but also helps in reducing dessication during brumation.

Garters are partially freeze tolerant (not sure if you were aware) and this is a consideration when addressing your question. I think that garters start working their way toward winter dens much later than just about any other snake, and the only other snakes that I've found as late in the year as I've found garter were the Dekay's brown snake (although I know someone who found a rat snake basking in December). As far as water snakes, I don't know when they begin making their way back, but I do know that right around the end of August they begin to become very unpredictable as to when they will turn up, and by this time of year it's a nice bonus to see one, so my assumption is that water snakes have some serious shifts in behavior right around this time, and may even start poking down into denning areas around now and emerging on warm days until the big push comes for them to go to sleep for the winter.

One possible scenario for you not seeing them as often now may partially be because of timing (not sure if you are aware of this). If you are going at the same time of day all summer long (say early to mid-morning), you won't see them at the same time of day in the autumn. I think that your best times of day at this time of year to see either species in the open would be from about 11 am to about 2 or 3 pm.

I will say this though, and I probably should not have saved this for last. I just checked the US drought monitor for your state, and it looks like it's been as dry for you as it has been for us. Since it's become excessively dry here (going under drought warnings now) the snakes have all but disappeared. The substrate under my boards is bone dry and they aren't turning up anything, and my snake sightings have plummeted. My guess is that the heat and dryness have sent at least some of them into aestivation for some time. Your decrease in sightings may have been strongly affected by the recent drought, I know that mine has, so what you are seeing now may not be considered average behavior for either snake.

Hope this helps,

MC
ebit123

Post by ebit123 »

Wow thank you for such a thorough response. Generally around here (RI/southern Mass) we go out in the afternoons (2 to 4). And, yes I have noticed garters out in the grass more frequently in May/June, and generally under tarrps, rocks, tires in August. But this Sept, just a couple young ones under rocks (that same tI'me frame), so maybe the time we are going or, like you say, the dryness.
Yes, there are some dams/eock wall type structures at this spot, ....maybe with it being so hot in the afternoon they are going deep into the crevices, and no longer in the water or under black tarps.
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

If the area that you are in still has water in it, and has anurans, I would think that you still may find garters on the move around 11 am until the afternoon. If you can poke around a few hours earlier, maybe it'll be worth it. I'm sure the dryness has still affected things at least a bit. I know that it's been brutal here.

One thing that I forgot to mention in my first response, if the juveniles that you are finding are YOY, they will aggregate near their birthing site and then follow scent trails of their parent back to hibernacula when it comes time.
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

Without any tropical systems and so little rain in my area, herp movement has been pretty awful making for a weak fall looking for snakes.

Once some rain finally comes hopefully we will all get to enjoy a bit more salamandering before the cold of winter.

Is it wrong of me to already be dreaming of spring?
ebit123

Post by ebit123 »

Haha, no....already planned out my trip south for next summer (we like checking out snakes and turtles in other areas)
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Funny that you say that, Incuhead. I have a pretty good sized board line that hasn't been touched for about 1.5 months (because it is so dry). This morning I debated that this afternoon I would go out and give them a check, but when the afternoon came, I decided to go to the gym instead. It's just not worth it.

I'm not dreaming of spring, I'm dreaming of the remnants of a tropical storm.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Apparently, lots of rain will drop down around Monday and Tuesday (if the Radar and forecast is correct). All is not lost :mrgreen:

So far the only boards that have had snakes underneath in my area are ones a few dozen meters from a water source.

- Justin
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

intermedius wrote:Apparently, lots of rain will drop down around Monday and Tuesday (if the Radar and forecast is correct). All is not lost :mrgreen:

So far the only boards that have had snakes underneath in my area are ones a few dozen meters from a water source.

- Justin
I just saw that this morning (about the rain). All is not lost indeed.

Regarding the boards, mine were a few dozen meters from water at one time. :?
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

September is often a GREAT month for us, as far as snake sightings go. It's usually cooled off from the heat of July & August, and they seem to be out trying to eat as much as possible before hibernation time. This year, we haven't gotten the quantity we usually get, but we have had a good variety or species. Up until this week, it has been ridiculously dry. Most of our vernals have all but dried up, so our ambystomas have been at a premium. I think this week's rain is going to be very helpful, especially for our marbleds!