It's been awhile

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jefferson

It's been awhile

Post by Jefferson » September 27th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Hi you all!

I know it's been about a month since I last posted, with good reason: I am now a college student in the great state of Virginia! I have been exceedingly busy, but have managed to find a few sallies and herps in the intervening time. On the way down to Virginia from the Great Lakes State, I made a few stopped in Ohio and wound up with only some frogs and duskies, but all the counties I hit were new on the naherp database, so it was a net positive and a good way to break up the drive (especially for my Plott Hound Noble who rode in my front seat and shed all over it!).

Two weeks into college, with a free Sunday, I decided to try my luck at a few locales along the BRP and in the Shenandoah Valley. So, at 7:00 a.m., with the yellow-orange sun peeking out from behind the Blue Ridge Mountains to the east of Lexington, I left for the mountains and hit a natural spring a little off the parkway. Reults: 3 Northern Spring Salamanders, many crayish, Southern Two-Lined, and a Northern Dusky.

As the day wore on and the fog lifted off of Virginia's turquoise hills, I hit an old favorite Peaks of Otter spot that did not disappoint. I tried a Big Levels spot, but the jeep trail up the mountain (which was aptly named) was a little rough and I turned around and headed to my last spot-a vernal pool complex. Here, I trudged a mile into the backwoods before flipping 6 Marbled Salamanders and a newt.

I also did some general herping down in the Piedmont, which was nothing really special, but I did hit two new counties on the herp atlas (which will show up after midnight tonight) and got to see a couple of historic Civil War sites.

Happy Herping!
Jefferson