Unusual cinerea?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Unusual cinerea?

Post by Noah M »

I was over at my friends house, and we found this huge H. cinerea. It looked pretty typical.

But then my wife spots this smaller one on a vine. I've never seen them with the extra dark lines along with the white stripe. Has anyone else seen this "skunk" like pattern? I know sometimes there is a thin dark outline of the white stripe, but these look proportionally much thicker than I usually see.

The night before we also found a couple of capitos.

simus343

Re: Unusual cinerea?

Post by simus343 »

I've seen plenty H. cinerea with the skunk pattern. I've found that it's more common around clear water like fountains and creeks, than it is near darker waters like ponds, rivers, and swamps. Though, I've found them in all habitat types. Still a very pretty variation though.

Also very nice with the Gopher Frogs! Despite all of my work over the past 4, coming up on 5, years I have never seen a single Gopher Frog. Did you hear them calling, or just find them cruising/hiking/flipping?
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I and a few friends found them hiking at dusk around a small pond that had a couple of males calling.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Oh my stripey is so pretty..

I remember big ones also Noah,, when living in the Mayport area in Jacksonville. They would come into the window and sometimes I would find one on the side of the shampoo bottle. I would throw moths to them that came in for the bathroom light.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Anybody have pictures of these other thick dark striped frogs?
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Interesting subject, Noah.
Be interested to see if it's lighting, temperature, age, region, or just random?

Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Thanks Bill. Yours look like mine. The variability of tree frogs amazes me. I'm not sure why they are different. I wonder if age matters. Your frogs look younger too.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Noah M wrote:Thanks Bill. Yours look like mine. The variability of tree frogs amazes me. I'm not sure why they are different. I wonder if age matters. Your frogs look younger too.
There could be something to that. I don't think I've ever seen a "monster" H. cinerea with the black stripe. Usually average (medium) sized ones or occasionally small ones with the black stripe.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Interesting shot Noah. I have not seen that 'black' bordered cinerea in upper south, or more specifically the west TN/KY area. Perhaps this is a characteristic more likely found in FL populations? Very beautiful frog by the way.

Dave
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

I've seen it in SC.
Nshepard

Post by Nshepard »

Here is a SC animal. Hanging out in a tidal marsh.

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I've never seen the skunk pattern. Very attractive! I'll be looking for it from now on. Gorgeous gophers!
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Wow, Nate. I think you managed to post the picture of the exact same individual that immediately came to mind for me.