Rainy day salamanders in Mendocino County

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Rainy day salamanders in Mendocino County

Post by Zach_Lim » November 2nd, 2015, 3:58 pm

Hey everyone,

Hope the onset of Fall has been treating everyone well! It is getting colder here in California (well, slightly, still somewhat warm here in San Francisco) and Northern California even saw a tiny bit of rain! Seeing a forecast of rain, my girlfriend and I spent the Halloween weekend up in Mendocino County, California for a night of beers at North Coast Brewery (Rasputin is a SOLID beer) and a day of hiking in the coastal redwoods.

Salamanders have since become my favorite herp to find and photograph. As I have stated before, nothing beats the usually breath taking creeks and forests that they call home and the great photo subjects they make. Girlfriend loves them too, so thats a bonus haha!

The usual suspects of California Slender Salamanders, Red-bellied Newts, and Oregon Ensatina made their appearance.

Oregon Ensatina (Ensatina e. oregonensis)

We were thrilled to find so many Coastal Giant Salamanders (all newly transformed and/or sub-adults) under cover as well as on the crawl near creeks and damp redwoods.

Coastal Giant Salamander (Dicamptodon tenebrosus)

My main target was the Torrent Salamander (Rhyacotriton variegatus)- a genus and species that I failed to find last time I was up North. Frankly, I knew little to nothing about them and thought they would just be found like any other creekside 'mader. Luckily, I did my research and was able to locate prime habitat. The second rock I turned over....

Southern Torrent Salamander (Rhyacotriton variegatus)

My newfound love of salamanders is becoming an addiction. I can't get my hands on enough literature about them. I can't wait for more rain to fall so I can add more to my life list.

-Zach

yoloherper

Re: Rainy day salamanders in Mendocino County

Post by yoloherper » November 2nd, 2015, 8:49 pm

That torrent salamander is awesome!!

Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap » November 2nd, 2015, 9:09 pm

Very nice, I'm kind of partial to that first Giant.

Owen

Post by Owen » November 3rd, 2015, 7:23 am

Oooooh.... yeaaaah. Salamanders & Rasputin. That's like good friends & Lowenbrau.

It doesn't get any better than this.

:beer:

JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN » November 3rd, 2015, 12:07 pm

Excellent, Zach! That Torrent is fantastic.

JimM

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim » November 3rd, 2015, 1:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Elliot- dude, that Torrent was so awesome! I was surprised as to how large it was (about the size of a large Ensatina or medium SC Black in length).

Lawrence- that first Giant was the first one of the day that I found on the crawl. It was strikingly beautiful.

Owen- can't say that I've had a Lowenbrau in some time! Maybe we should go on a hike and change that haha!

Jim- Thanks, Jim! Torrents, both aesthetically, natural history-wise, and fun in searching for, will eventually climb up to the top of my caudata list!

Everyone- let's go out salamandering! I'm doing my rain dance and getting some better boots in hopes of a nice get together!

El Garia

Post by El Garia » November 3rd, 2015, 3:46 pm

Looks like a fun time! Nice pics, too... :thumb: There's several species up that way that I wouldn't mind finding.

unfortunately, Lowenbrau is no more - Well, for old times' sake, "Here's to good friends":beer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEFsMpJcmI

Owen

Post by Owen » November 3rd, 2015, 3:55 pm

Zach_Lim wrote:Owen- can't say that I've had a Lowenbrau in some time! Maybe we should go on a hike and change that haha!
!
Everyone- let's go out salamandering! I'm doing my rain dance and getting some better boots in hopes of a nice get together!
Yeah, it's been over 30 years for me with that Lowenbrau stuff (Low-dark). Hopefully, I can free up some time to sally forth.

The latest acquisition:

I'll have to wait 11 more years to get the one labeled XXX :mrgreen:

SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp » November 5th, 2015, 9:34 am

Cool post Zach - thanks for sharing. I especially like the torrent salamander.

I've been out searching for salamanders a couple times this week already and have had some luck. I may make a quick post later on.

I hope to make at least one weekend trip up to Santa Barbara County to search for tiger salamanders this winter. I may visit the Bay Area too. I'd like to road-cruise a huge giant salamander, plus a SC black or a long-toed.

Zach - are you interested in San Diego County salamanders? or SB Cnty tigers?

Jeff

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim » November 5th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Derek- I wouldn't mind a road trip up there again!

Owen- That is so awesome!

Jeff- Please post the pics! If you are up here for 'manders, I can show you the spots! Weather is starting to look good up here in the Bay, would would be best with some rain.

I am interested in all Salamanders, Jeff! Any county! Would love to see an SB Tiger.

Porter

Post by Porter » November 5th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Nice find Zach. The angle of those shots remind me a little of Rob Schell photography. And that's a compliment, because he's one of the greats. :beer: nice habitat shot :thumb: It reminds me, I'm gonna have to get my fat ass out to Santa Cruz to find an adult Black Salamander this wet season. Love the purple tones on those things

Oh, and... You're not a man until you down one of these bad boys ;)

Image20151107_151725 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata » November 8th, 2015, 10:54 am

Owen wrote:
Zach_Lim wrote:Owen- can't say that I've had a Lowenbrau in some time! Maybe we should go on a hike and change that haha!
!
Yeah, it's been over 30 years for me with that Lowenbrau stuff (Low-dark). Hopefully, I can free up some time to sally forth.

The latest acquisition:

I'll have to wait 11 more years to get the one labeled XXX :mrgreen:
That's quality work by you, Owen - do yourself a favor if you have any willpower and stick one of those bottles in the basement for 11 years..................

Stephen S

Post by Stephen S » November 9th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Excellent photography Zach, those gummy lizards are tricky to photo, you seem to have it down pretty good.