South Carolina in spring

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

radiata

South Carolina in spring

Post by radiata »

My brother and I would like to do some herp photography in SC in the spring, probably April. I have not been there for years and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to which month and what areas. I was figuring perhaps Francis Marion National Forest. Also I used to have a $25 collecting permit but did no collecting. Anyone have any experience with need for permits for photography?
Thanks,
Al

jack4rogers

Re: South Carolina in spring

Post by jack4rogers »

Collecting in the FMNF is illegal without a valid permit (which is hard to get nowadays). I photograph there all the time though! No need for a permit as long as they go free. There's some really cool stuff in there! Feel free to PM me if you wanted to meet up.

radiata

Post by radiata »

Thanks for the offer. We may do that. Have no need to collect, just photos and fun of seeing critters.
Al Winstel

herper1

Post by herper1 »

I am from NJ and will also be in SC ( Charleston area FMNF then Mcbee area) and have many questions. Is late April, early May a good time for frogs and will they still be calling? Will it be to early to night cruise for snakes? To late for salamanders? What are daytime temps like that time of year, google says low to mid 80s. is that close? Any info is appreciated and would also be open to meeting any other herpers.

mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

herper1 wrote:I am from NJ and will also be in SC ( Charleston area FMNF then Mcbee area) and have many questions. Is late April, early May a good time for frogs and will they still be calling? Will it be to early to night cruise for snakes? To late for salamanders? What are daytime temps like that time of year, google says low to mid 80s. is that close? Any info is appreciated and would also be open to meeting any other herpers.
April is a perfect time for frogs as you may get a mix of the late winter/early spring variety along with the species more commonly encountered during the summer. Go roadcruising at night after heavy rains and you are guaranteed to turn them up on the roads and to hear them calling from ponds, flood ditches, etc. Night cruising for snakes depends on the weather - if there's plenty of sunshine and temps are in the 80s, then going out around sunset and staying out for a few hours should be productive, but I don't have much experience up there. Daytime cruising should work, too.

As far as salamanders, my guess would be your best bet is to flip for them in moist areas. Be sure to be respectful of habitat and to put that first before any personal desire to see a salamander.