An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territory

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

the_cw1

An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territory

Post by the_cw1 »

Hi all,

I've been bugging people in various subforums so I thought I should make a formal introduction. My name is Derek, philosophically minded, and I'm an avid herp enthusiast. I am new to the hobby despite a lifelong interest in herps (particularly lizards and snakes). I'm getting used to field work, checking things out, and learning how to use my camera in the dark. I'm not sure how you pros do it, haha! I live in Oregon, and would greatly enjoy meeting up with people in the area. I love desert hikes! I was all over the desert this past summer

In either case, I thought I would share the most recent "big" herping trip I went on. I went to the top end of Australia in September. My whole album can be found through my flickr, but I linked to some of the herp shots you guys might enjoy the most. I think anyone interested in animals should go to the NT. It's hot, horrible, and a herp's paradise.

In any case, I will upload "field reports" as they happen. I have a trip planned for Costa Rica here in a few months and Arizona come the summer. Should be fun! There's some Bothrops and Crotalids with my name on them. :p

Best,
-Derek

Banded Tree Monitor - V. Scalaris
ImageIMG_3758 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Northern Water Dragon - Lophognathus sp.
ImageIMG_1082 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Water Python - Liasis Fuscus
ImageIMG_0545 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Lesser Black Whip Snake - Demansia Vestigiata
ImageIMG_0262 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Skink (Unsure?)
ImageIMG_1625 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Young Agamid (chlamydosaurus?)
ImageIMG_0937 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Frog (?)
ImageIMG_0315 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Crocodylus Johnsoni
ImageIMG_0331 by Derek Halm, on Flickr

Crocodylus Porosus
ImageIMG_1238 by Derek Halm, on Flickr
Ribbit

Re: An introduction and some shots from the Northern Territo

Post by Ribbit »

Welcome to the main forum, Derek!

Great photos! My favorites are the Banded Tree Monitor and the agamid attempting to hide. I learned from AnoleAnnals.org that there's an official name for the behavior of lizards (and other animals, presumably) that slowly slide to the far side of the branch to avoid you -- it's called "squirreling".

Your skink looks like a Carlia, I would guess either Carlia gracilis or Carlia rufilatus.

I have visited the Top End once, in mid-November, in an attempt to time it for the very beginning of the Wet, before the real downpours began. What time of year did you visit? I'd love to go back someday.

John
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

Ribbit wrote:Welcome to the main forum, Derek!

Great photos! My favorites are the Banded Tree Monitor and the agamid attempting to hide. I learned from AnoleAnnals.org that there's an official name for the behavior of lizards (and other animals, presumably) that slowly slide to the far side of the branch to avoid you -- it's called "squirreling".

Your skink looks like a Carlia, I would guess either Carlia gracilis or Carlia rufilatus.

I have visited the Top End once, in mid-November, in an attempt to time it for the very beginning of the Wet, before the real downpours began. What time of year did you visit? I'd love to go back someday.

John
Hey John,

I went in September. There was one major rainfall but beyond that it was hot (95-100) and clear skies every day. I'm going to be going back some time in 2017, probably right after the wet ends. For what it's worth, right in Darwin East Point and Holmes Jungle were *amazing* for herping. The former had a few V. Panopetes--I never could get a pic--and the latter had dozens and dozens of snakes out on any given day. The water python I got the pic of was one I frequently saw. There was a huge olive python there that I never got a clear look at. :p
speedy

Post by speedy »

Nice work Derek.

Some help with the ID's. Your Skink is Carlia gracilis, the frog is Litoria rothi, your agamid is Chlamydosaurus kingii and your Northern Water Dragon is Gowidon temporalis.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

September, interesting. I was trying to time the very beginning of the Wet but that year it started late so we just got the end of the build-up, where it's extremely humid as well as hot. We did visit Holmes Jungle and saw a few lizards and frogs but no snakes.

John
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

Ribbit wrote:September, interesting. I was trying to time the very beginning of the Wet but that year it started late so we just got the end of the build-up, where it's extremely humid as well as hot. We did visit Holmes Jungle and saw a few lizards and frogs but no snakes.

John
I never saw a single lizard there on my several trips. Maybe it was the time of the year, but I cannot stress how many there were.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Wow, interesting, thanks.

John
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

speedy wrote:Nice work Derek.

Some help with the ID's. Your Skink is Carlia gracilis, the frog is Litoria rothi, your agamid is Chlamydosaurus kingii and your Northern Water Dragon is Gowidon temporalis.
I didn't see this earlier. Thank you for the IDs. I have a book on Australian herp identification, but I found it to be overwhelming when I was in the field. Especially considering in my home state it was easy to identify herps: there was only one extant species of lizard!