Anything Scheduled for 2016 ?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

Anything Scheduled for 2016 ?

Post by Biker Dave »

Just curious if there are any Tejon Ranch or other such activities scheduled for this year.
Calfirecap

Re: Anything Scheduled for 2016 ?

Post by Calfirecap »

There will be a Soquel Demonstration State Forest Survey in the spring, but it's too early to set a date. It's weather dependent and I coordinate with Todd B., so we don't have a Tejon and Soquel Survey on the same weekend. I would also like to open up one of our Sierra Azul Open space Preserve surveys to the general membership, but that's wait and see right now. They've just hired a new biologist and I need to see if the projects there will continue.
There is some other stuff brewing down in So. Cal, but I'll let Jeff speak up when he's ready. There is a lot of 'red tape' to cut through when hosting surveys in California and I'm not sure he's got through all of that yet.

Lawrence
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hi Dave,

There are a lot of survey possibilities in San Diego County this year!

The following is a list of surveys that trusted NAFHA members may be invited to:

Fallbrook Land Conservancy - we have permission to go off-trail and set-out boards to survey 11 different parcels of land around Fallbrook. I'm the Coordinator for these surveys.

San Dieguito River Park - the late, great Kent VanSooy, together with Billboard and other NAFHA members, set out boards near the SDRP headquarters. Steve Bledsoe will be coordinating dates to check these boards and survey the property. (There is another parcel of land where we're trying to get permission to place boards and conduct a general herp survey on, but that may not happen this year.)

USGS glossy snake surveys - a bunch of us NAFHA members helped the USGS start a boardline survey site last year. We will have opportunities to help check the boards this Spring. There will also possibly be night walking surveys for us to assist with.

City of San Diego Open Space Preserves - Nature Nate and I just met with City of SD biologists earlier this week and we now have permission to survey two preserves in San Diego. We hope to start surveying next week. We will probably start some boardlines as well.

I plan to organize some group survey events, for general NAFHA members, to occur during March, April and May.

If you're planning to visit San Diego County and would like to help with our survey efforts, please send me, Nate, or Steve a message beforehand. There's a very good chance we can arrange for something.
Most of the survey sites require us to notify the land managers/rangers well in advance of any visits, but the FLC is less restrictive and surveys there can be conducted on short notice. However, liability waivers need to be signed prior to any visits.

Best Regards,

Jeff
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Jeff

Sounds like you guys are quite busy out there! I will pm you with my availability dates.

Dave
yolodave

Post by yolodave »

Will probably do the Yolo Bypass survey the first weekend in April, but we'll see if the place floods this year. That could delay things. Otherwise, I'd also like to do a survey in the Coast Range near San Luis Reservoir. Same time period, late March/early April.

Dave