Opening up a lil

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

axeman2729

Opening up a lil

Post by axeman2729 »

Hi my name is Garrett Brethauer. I haven't been on here in a good minute due to the navy. This last weekend I stayed with some new friends Tamara and Ray McConnell. It was the first time I had actively went herping since prior to boot camp found numerous lifers. However that's not why I am making this post. During the course of this weekend I opened up to Tamara about myself. I told her about my history about my obstacles and most of all the fact that I have Asperger's syndrome. When I told her this she was surprised as I am very high functioning and I told her I've grown a lot since I was diagnosed. Even though a lot of people think of any form of autism a bad thing I told her I am happy that I have it. See if I didn't have Asperger's I probably would not be as obsessed with herps as I am. I wouldn't have been able to graduate high school (I had a great autistic support teacher) and I wouldn't be the person I am today. Sure there have been a lot of obstacles like being socially awkward or being a lil out there and being made a pariah but I have overcome those obstacles. Anyways I just wanted to make this post to be a beacon of hope for others on here with Asperger's as I am sure there are at least a few. Thank you for hearing me out. -Garrett
BillMcGighan

Re: Opening up a lil

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good for you, Garrett.
You couldn't have returned to herp with better folks than Tamara and Ray.
Ther are a couple others on the forum who are coping to lesser and greater degree with this condition, so you're not alone.

Do you have your more permanent duty station yet?
What MOS did you settle with?
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

I have not yet got my PDS I still have about three months of training left I am an AT I level
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Garrett, we so much enjoyed meeting you and herping with you. The future of herp conservation is in your generation's hands, and when I meet young people like you who are so committed to the herps' well-being, I feel good about that.
Brave post, sailor, and I hope you come back when temps have gotten a little warmer so we can hit the joyful field again together.
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

Hey Garrett, how old were you when you were diagnosed? Do you think that you are better off knowing that you have Asperger's than if you had never known? The reason I ask you this is because I know my son has it. My wife and I do not know what to do. If he gets diagnosed than he knows he is different and that could lead to very bad depression. Then again, if he knows that he has it than it may help him better cope with everything going on around him. Regardless, there is no cure.

We have been struggling with what best to do for several years, he is in High School now! I have read everything there is to read on the subject. I will say this much, when we are talking Autism, Asperger's is the best form to have. If what you are obsessing about is positive, the sky is the limit. Bill Gates and Dan Akroyd are just two examples of people known to have Asperger's. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin are also said to have had it. We are talking about the greatest people to have ever walked the planet!

I would appreciate you thoughts on this,
Derek
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

Most people involved with reptiles are socially awkward, you'll fit right in. :lol:
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Most people involved with reptiles are socially awkward, you'll fit right in. :lol:
True, historically.
Less true as time rocks along. We used to be really odd, because of our hobby. Herp stuff is going more and more mainstream. I've watched it evolve and I think it's a great thing for herps. I liked it when we were a small community of weirdos, but for conservation's sake, it's great that loving herps is becoming cool. It's almost like herping is the new black.
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

You're right about that, I'm not so sure it's entirely a good thing. The last hike I went on to see copperheads it sounded like a Peta convention. I was nearly crucified for keeping herps in captivity, someone suggested only "rescues" should be kept, and I didn't even tell them I also collect herps myself lol
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Glad you got some positive comments Garrett! :thumb: I remember your post about going into the Navy.

I see you are an AT. Aviation Electrician Technician? That should be a great field to get a job after serving!

I was an AO, Aviation Ordnanceman, many years ago. Somewhat limited jobs on the outside. Probably the reason I have been a fish farmer for 30 years. :lol:

Best of luck to you and keep us posted if you find time to herp!

Gary
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

dthor68 wrote:Hey Garrett, how old were you when you were diagnosed? Do you think that you are better off knowing that you have Asperger's than if you had never known? The reason I ask you this is because I know my son has it. My wife and I do not know what to do. If he gets diagnosed than he knows he is different and that could lead to very bad depression. Then again, if he knows that he has it than it may help him better cope with everything going on around him. Regardless, there is no cure.

We have been struggling with what best to do for several years, he is in High School now! I have read everything there is to read on the subject. I will say this much, when we are talking Autism, Asperger's is the best form to have. If what you are obsessing about is positive, the sky is the limit. Bill Gates and Dan Akroyd are just two examples of people known to have Asperger's. Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin are also said to have had it. We are talking about the greatest people to have ever walked the planet!

I would appreciate you thoughts on this,
Derek
Derek I got diagnosed in 2nd grade and honestly I haven't gone through depression I have gone through numerous support groups and have learned to cope with it