Can anyone help with information on snake gaiters?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

pythonregius3

Can anyone help with information on snake gaiters?

Post by pythonregius3 »

I used to have an old set of Rocky snake boots i used until they fell apart. This last year i used some across rubber snake boots but i am planning a trip this summer to AZ. those rubber boots don't breath well at all and i will sweat non-stop in summer heat of Arizona with those on so planning to use my regular hiking boots w/ jeans on and figured i should maybe get some gaiters to wear to be safe.

I have never owned a pair of these and am finding many options online so wanting to get some opinions from people who have used them. I would like them to be comfortable if possible but mostly want to make sure they are good enough to protect me. I have a younger brother and my mom going with me so we probably will buy a few pairs and i want to make sure i pick a kind i know my family will be safe.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
SurfinHerp

Re: Can anyone help with information on snake gaiters?

Post by SurfinHerp »

A few years ago I bought some very similar to these:
http://www.amazon.com/Snake-Gaiters-Pro ... ke+gaiters

I got them from Cabela's for about $45, but I didn't see them on Cabelas.com after a quick search just now.

I like them well enough, and use them whenever I feel like there's a good chance of stepping on a crote. The additional safety of wearing gaiters allows me to go places I wouldn't otherwise, and therefore find more herps. They also help keep foxtails and burs out of my boots. The main drawback is that they make my lower legs all hot and sweaty.

Jeff
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I'd stay away from the whole chaps, snake gaiters, snake boots thing... for one thing anything that makes you hotter is not awesome for another, the one dangerous thing that has happened to me twice while field herping in falling down cliffs and both times I wonder if the snake boots did not play a role. I threw mine out and just wear tennis shoes.
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

thanks surfinherp and stlouisdude for your info. i will check out the ones surfinherp posted. i agree that i have found many snakes over the years in tall grass and or thick vegetation of some kind i wouldn't have wanted to walk into without some type of protection knowing i was in an area that could have a rattler so i probably will wear something just not sure what yet.

I also fully understand your thinking on this stlouisdude.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Look up "foreverlast snake guard shields" on Amazon. While I can't attest to their efficacy in the case of an actual bite (I honestly can't for any of the protective leg/foot gear I've worn in the past 9 years), I can say they're great. Lightweight, easily fold/portable, and comfortable. I've worn things from those cheap wire mesh gaiters that deform and sag to $250 18" snakeproof boots. Get a solid pair of boots (I have been surprisingly happy for years with the Field and Stream waterproof boots you can always find at Dick's Sporting Goods), and wear these gaiters over your lower legs. I do constant field work year-round with herps. Even in 100+ degree weather, I wear these gaiters without ever thinking, "oh my god, this herping sucks because my lower legs are too hot." I guess that might be different out west, but I'm wearing pants and gaiters when I'm working with or around hots, regardless of the temperature.

The main thing I like about these is that they easily fold so I can store them in my field bag. That way, if I'm not already wearing them, I always have them on hand if needed without the bulk of non-folding types.

The buckles are solid. The material has minimal wear after what I would consider excessive use for a year.

In case you didn't pick it up yet, I HIGHLY recommend these gaiters.
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

Umop thanks for the information i will look into those for sure. Also i love the picture of stimpy. Thanks again.
Badgerberling

Post by Badgerberling »

I see you're from the midwest and just as likely to benefit from your gaiters near Timber dens as in AZ.

I wear them near the dens and can attest that Timbers all to easily show up undetected.

Thanks for the reinforcement for safety afield.
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

I usually wear my tall snake boots when in copperhead or timber ares here in indiana where i am from. I am flying to AX and dont want to pack the giant boots or have to wear them when i fly. I will wear them for sure when in timber country some too. I havent been lucky enough to lacate a timber den :( yet but have seen several timbers. A few yrs back my bro called me over to see a dark timber he found and right when i got over there heard a noise and looked down to see a light colored one crawl right past my foot. Glad i had my boots on for that for sure. But as usual the timber just crawled past and had no intentions on biting me unless i messed w it. Have came close to stepping on a timber as well as a copperhead in the past so always wear some protection.
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

http://www.turtleskin.com/Snake-Gaiters.aspx

These are the best. They're light and they dry fast. I know quite a few horridus monitors and this is what all of us use. They cost a little bit more but it's nothing compared to a hospital bill.

:beer:
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

Thanks will. Those are a good amount. Ore expensive than some others but like the idea of a zipper instead of buckles that are more likely to break.
pythonregius3

Post by pythonregius3 »

has anyone ever tried the forever last pro leg guards? look like they are more similar in style to the turtle skin brand but much cheaper. can't find any details on the site on size and if button or zipper or both either so i emailed them for some details. Hoping someone on here has these to let me know if you like them. Below i listed web page. for some reason my computer didn't give me copy link option so not sure if it is a link here or just the info that needs to be pasted to pull up site. Sorry.

http://www.foreverlastonline.com/Pro-Le ... _p_63.html