Desert boots

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hldyrbrth

Desert boots

Post by hldyrbrth »

Okay, I'm ready for all the desert/ snake/ cactus spines can't get through boot recommendations. For my June '16 trip to AZ I was going to bring my Muck rubber boots that are great here in NC, but would probably be two foot baths in the Arizona summer.
Thanks for all the replies.
Steve Bledsoe

Re: Desert boots

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

I rely on all leather boots, but even though a rattlesnake can't bite through them, you have to be careful with cholla cactus. Cholla spines seem to have the ability to penetrate anything!
I've been wearing Coleman Dakota waterproof hiking boots for years, and hope they never stop making them. (I'm on my 3rd pair)

Good luck on your trip.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:...be careful with cholla cactus. Cholla spines seem to have the ability to penetrate anything!
I lost a new tire after a thin cholla spine poked through the sidewall to produce a slow leak. I refused to believe it, but it was true, and that new tire was trashed--bummer :(
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I just go with my old 10" leather boots with vibram soles. They're a heavy, expensive, fire/timber boot (Wesco brand; also my 3rd pair of them) but I find they're excellent for anything off-trail, except wading. For strictly trail use, something lighter is better, but for steep/thick/loose/snakey country - I've found my lifetime solution.

Whatever you do, leave the rubber muckers at home, and get something else (if a "real boot", break them in for at least a month before you go). You're right about the sweaty feet, plus they'll be crap for rocky side-hilling, and they won't stop many beefy thorns, plus to add insult to the injuries you'll get in Arizona, they won't be waterproof any more when you get home. Lose-lose.

Good hunting, be careful.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

... good ole lat, stays on top of these things & turned me on to "Tactical Research" 1'st pair of boots since i was 30 ( 2 or 3 yrs ago) that felt good the day i put them on ... combat looking desert tan ; leather where they need to be, breathing synthetix elsewhere .... high tops like i like ... & while i never broke down & bought the gold standard ; whites custom boots (all forest service folks seem to wear them) ... the old redwing irish setter leather boot w/ vibram soles were my fav's for years ... heck i even lost my uniform allowance once 4 wearing them to a public mtg. instead of the "dress a" traitorous pointy cowboy boots ... heheheh, i only looked like the enemy when i was working them plainclothes! ... & damn im proud 4 what the knitwits paid attention to, & wrote me up for ...
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Regal, you have a lot of good points, but its hard to follow the jargon.
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

.. then dont ..
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

good point; so I don't and I won't.

Jimi

Post by Jimi »

"dress a" traitorous pointy cowboy boots
That's funny as hell, including the discipline part. Yeah before finding the Wescos I had one pair of Irish Setters; they went a few years, but the lava and obsidian of Modoc County ate the uppers as well as the soles. Re: the pointies, I always thought those "corner-cleaner roach-getters" were just an odious affectation for uniform garb. Ditto the matching hats. Monkeys in costume, save my soul. Grasping, quarrelsome monkeys in costume...
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

2 words... Desert Eagles... best boots ever
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

When I'm serious about herp'n, that's what i wear (Desert Eagles). Got'a say they are the best boots that I've ever owned and they were only $15 bucks. Second hand Military issue at the Santa Fe Swap Meet. The guy had a bunch of them, my only regret is that i didn't buy a second pair. I will be heading back to that swop meet someday, just to find that guy selling the Desert Eagles. Note, get the ones without the breather holes, because they are also water proof Gortex up to the top. Work great for stream crossings and rainy forests.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Ah, I just looked those up. Danner's a quite decent name in boots - they've been around a while. Maybe I'll pick up a new pair with next year's boot allowance from work. Thanks for the suggestion.
hldyrbrth

Post by hldyrbrth »

Jimi wrote:Ah, I just looked those up. Danner's a quite decent name in boots - they've been around a while. Maybe I'll pick up a new pair with next year's boot allowance from work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thank you all very much!!! It's a toss up for Desert Eagles or Desert Tanicus.