Imports stopped because of salamander threat

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BillMcGighan

Re: Imports stopped because of salamander threat

Post by BillMcGighan »

Wow, that's significant (and scary) enough for all herpers to be on watch.

Gleaned from the article, it should be mentioned again here that if anyone thinks the have seen this to report it to:

http://updates.amphibiandisease.org/
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

deleted
Kyle from Carolina

deleted
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

The NA natives assumes the fungus could be present, yet unknown, in the USA. What's odd is it's legal for me to take equipment from state to state without any specified decontamination protocol being followed. I do try to do so, just think it's odd no rule requires one do so.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Laws and regs move slowly (current politics :roll: .. I wonder why?), but one reg on a positive note that seems to be gaining momentum in more states is the requirement for us fishing persons to not use felt soles from our wading shoes.

I can only imagine the amount of micro fauna and flora I've carried from waterway to waterway on past trips.
narrowfellow

Post by narrowfellow »

deleted
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

Whenever there's been a push to develop more flexible federal rules/laws for import and interstate movement, it's been resisted by the live animal trade and it ends up going nowhere. Robert N. Reed
That's not exactly true. Its closer to the truth to say that in the past the live animal trade has defended itself from unfounded and unjust legislation, spearheaded by agenda driven activist groups and the fraudulent scientist that benefit from supporting them. Look no further then yourself Bob, for a shining example of this.

Giant Constrictors: Biological and Management Profiles and an Establishment Risk Assessment for Nine Large Species of Pythons, Anacondas, and the Boa Constrictor by Robert N. Reed and Gordon H. Rodda 2009. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2009-1202, xviii + 302 pp.

The above piece of pure shizzel along with your many other offering's to the world of junk science define who you really are. No doubt you have a sour taste in your mouth about the live trade. It must be frustrating to be called out and exposed as a charlatan as often as you have. Your career may be intact but it appears your dignity has long ago dissipated.

More and more the Chytridiomycosis crisis is sounding like the amphibian alarmist version of climate change. Years ago the extremist tried to ban the import of amphibian's (injurious wildlife was the excuse). What they want to do is pass open ended legislation that initially appears reasonable but in reality is a Trojan horse of sorts. The last similar BIG emergency involved imported reptiles and ticks. The call was to stop the importation and transportation of reptiles because Amblyomma ticks were going to decimate our cattle farms via the uncontrollable spread of Ehrlichia ruminantium ( Heartwater disease ). An emergency moratorium was placed on the importation of tortoises. Naturally no Ehrlichia carrying tick was ever found on a reptile. There's much more that can be added to this but for now, the one truth is that you cant believe the hype or the scientist that promote it.

Ernie Eison
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

This paper provides a good summary on how the risk of Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans to North American amphibians was assessed:

Richgels, K., R. E. Russell, M. J. Adams, C. L. White, and E. H. Campbell Grant 2016. Spatial variation in risk and consequence of Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans introduction in the USA. Royal Society Open Science 3.

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 3/2/150616

There really isn't any conspiracy here. Just good science being used to protect wild amphibians from disease.....
Kyle from Carolina

deleted
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

There will be more details discussed after the final rule I am sure. To say the current version is supported by all scientists is a bit of a stretch, though, the devil is always in the details but I will withhold any judgement until after all the dust settles.