Short trip to Costa Rica

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

blacktara

Short trip to Costa Rica

Post by blacktara » February 23rd, 2016, 12:22 pm

Just got back from a short trip to Costa Rica - spent a few days each at several locales all over the country. Here are the highlights.

First the top 5

#1. Lifer hot number one - slender hog-nosed pit viper (porthidium ophyromegas) - from near Canas in GuanacasteImage

#2 - Lifer green rat - senticlois triaspis - also from near Canas

#3 - Lifer hot number two - Micrurus negrocinctus - from near La Cruz in Guanacaste

#4 - First ever glass frog - and a good one, hyalinobatrachium telemancae - from Brian Kubicki's CRARC near Siqquires

#5 - From near the Kekoldi reserve on the southern Carib side - Bolitoglossa colonnea

Then the best of the rest

C Annulatus from near Siqquires

B schlegelii - oropel pahse, from Manzanillo Refuge - only saw three of these (and zero bothrops) on this trip - hard to believe

Another lifer snake from Guanacaste - Leptodeira nigrofasciata - black banded cat-eyed snake

Very very cute neo Imantodes

Ctenid spider - cupiennius - from Pacific coast near Dominical

Scorpion with babies - Centroides?

Missed a lot opf targets this trip - no cantil, no simus, no supraciliaris - but still got good stuff and had a great time

shanicy

Re: Short trip to Costa Rica

Post by shanicy » February 24th, 2016, 9:46 am

Nice photos and variety!
Looks like you had an awesome time!
Costa Rica is such an amazing place...

FrogO_Oeyes

Post by FrogO_Oeyes » February 24th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Senticolis triaspis, or Pseudelaphe flavirufa?

blacktara

Post by blacktara » February 26th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Interesting question - I was with a guy who lives in CR, though admittedly he is native Venezuelan and not native Tico - and he said Senticolis. When he said that my first reaction was that it's far more boldly patterned than any senticolis Ive seen pics of from the states but he was prettyy insistant that yes it's senticolis. I dont have my guide with range maps in it handy - and off hand I dont know the distribution of flavirufa in CR - but I will check it out and also run it by Cesar again.

blacktara

Post by blacktara » February 26th, 2016, 9:42 pm

Ok - did some research on this - I can find no record anywhere of flavirufa from CR - The actual finds I could document only go as far as northern Honduras. I have seen MENTION of Nicaragua but in the Carib coast lowlands. Bottom line where we found this snake would a HUGE range extension for flavirufa. Also have found some pics of S Triaspis specimens with color and patterning VERY similar to our snake

Conclusion - It's Senticolis fersure