February Zards

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DallasJolly123

February Zards

Post by DallasJolly123 »

I know it's a bit early on in the year but I still got out 3-4 days each week this month. I spent a majority of this time scouting for some nice Zonata habitat in the San Gabes, and potential Los Angeles County Gracia locations in the Mojave desert (wish me luck! I know I'll need it haha), which is my number 1 goal for the year. I got skunked on snakes but I did see 5 lizard species, however I will not include Night Lizards in this post since I've already posted my best shots of them.

Desert Banded Gecko (Coleonyx variegatus variegatus)
ImageIMG_4239 by Dallas Jolly, on FlickrImageIMG_4249 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr

Western Side-blotched Lizard (Uta stansburiana elegans)
ImageIMG_4288 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr

And then he grabbed a quick snack.
ImageIMG_4282 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr

Great Basin Fence Lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis longipes)
ImageIMG_4276 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr
ImageIMG_4281 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr

First lifer of 2016!
Northern California Legless Lizard (Anniella pulchra)
ImageIMG_4093 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr
ImageIMG_4072 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr
ImageIMG_4059 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr

and last but not least a little taste of some potential Gracia habitat I've had my eyes on.
ImageIMG_3839 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3837 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr
ImageIMG_3832 by Dallas Jolly, on Flickr

-Dallas
hellihooks

Re: February Zards

Post by hellihooks »

Might get a better response posting in the Ca forum... LA Co gracia are tough (and would be a county record, if you happen to enter data)... been trying several years, myself... :shock:

Z's can take a while to figure out too... specially if you go 'old school' and figure everything out yourself (like I did ;) )

shiny cuts n shallow ruts... 8-)
DallasJolly123

Post by DallasJolly123 »

hellihooks wrote:Might get a better response posting in the Ca forum... LA Co gracia are tough (and would be a county record, if you happen to enter data)... been trying several years, myself... :shock:

Z's can take a while to figure out too... specially if you go 'old school' and figure everything out yourself (like I did ;) )

shiny cuts n shallow ruts... 8-)
Hey Hellihooks, I am in no way one of those newbies who is out asking "how and where" , personally I don't want any of that info from anyone on this forum. I feel it takes away from my field experience, and learning abilities. I'm aware there is no record of LA County Gracia. I am also aware of people targeting them, yet I always hear they are "hard to come by"... .
So my only question is who has come by one? Regardless, I live about 15 minutes from what I consider to be some of the only suitable Gracia habitat in LA County (not like there's much to work with) and the search continues!!!

-Dallas
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

no one i know of, has found a gracia yet... rosafucia, along the foothills, sure... but pure 'desert boas'... none recorded. I have several places I think they could/should be... we'll see.

I respect your 'old school' approach... just saying... the guys looking are in the Ca Chap. good luck... :thumb:
Roki

Post by Roki »

Fun finds. I love those banded geckos. Cheers