Mississippi Herp Literature?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ChadHarrison

Mississippi Herp Literature?

Post by ChadHarrison »

What is the deal with Mississippi's complete lack of information on the local herp residents? I can't find a single site that shows native herps with range maps and info or anything even close. Best I got was a checklist, which is not helpful in the slightest. I'm going to be in Southern MS for 4 days in mid-may, and I would like to know what I have a chance of running into, aside from my targets that I know exist in the areas I'm herping. The only field guide I found for MS is dated 1976. Get it together, Mississippi! Get in touch with the dudes responsible for the Kansas Herp Atlas. Talk about an incredibly well done and informative website. As the late Carl Koch would say: holy cats, man!

Maybe I'm just a moron. Does anybody know where I can get some useful information on the natural history and ranges of native mississippi herps? Doesn't have to just be a website; I'll buy a book if I have to.
dwakefield

Re: Mississippi Herp Literature?

Post by dwakefield »

I actually grew up in central Mississippi, but I was pretty young........although I was eager to herp, I couldn't find a lot of other people who shared that excitement! I mostly got to hike in some wildlife refuges and other natural areas. I can't really help much for southern MS, though. I don't know if Terry Vandeventer is still around. That guy is a legend, and I believe is based out of Jackson, MS.
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Terry is the map for Mississippi. Great guy!
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Tom Mann with the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science is a great resource. He runs the bucket brigade with the National Park Service to help migrating amphibian populations from being decimated by vehicles on the Natchez Trace Parkway, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/us/vo ... .html?_r=0.

Cheers, Heather