Herpetology Conference in Gainesville

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Carl D. May

Herpetology Conference in Gainesville

Post by Carl D. May »

It's time for the 39th Annual Herpetology Conference in Gainesville. Anybody going?

https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology-c ... /schedule/

I remember when this was THE event to attend and when there were numerous vendors filling up the 2nd floor of the Reitz Union at UF. There were live specimens of rare Florida herps to be photographed and the main auditorium was literally filled to capacity with hobbyist keepers, field herpers and academics alike...all sharing information. The Saturday night BBQ was a blast and a virtual who's-who of U.S. herpers Those were the days!

But for many years now the university has seemingly divorced itself from the event (at least in regards to having talks about reptile keeping, photography, field herping etc.), the Gainesville Herp Society is long dead, and hobbyists opt to attend the Expo in Daytona to rub shoulders. The conference presentations are dominated by 'student talks' (= zzzzz) which in my mind tend to be rather esoteric and boring. And amateurish.
So the Herpetology Conference is a shadow of its former self and has been held at the Paramount Plaza Hotel for a number of years.
I still have hope for the Conference but cannot help but wonder...what happened? And how much longer will it survive?
JakeScott

Re: Herpetology Conference in Gainesville

Post by JakeScott »

I haven't attended in years and I LIVE in Gainesville. I might attend this year, but who knows. Maybe it's time to go back.

-Jake
Noah M

Re: Herpetology Conference in Gainesville

Post by Noah M »

"the Gainesville Herp Society is long dead"

They had a new meeting to see if there was interest in getting this back together that I attended a few weeks back. The first official meeting is to take place today.