Louisiana "Snake Rodeo" Killfest (GRAPHIC)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chris_mcmartin

Louisiana "Snake Rodeo" Killfest (GRAPHIC)

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Saw this on Facebook. The East Carroll Parish Sheriff's Office is holding a "Snake Rodeo" on May 21st, 10am - 3pm. It doesn't even appear to be a fundraiser...the flyer says "all money paid back" (apparently for prizes etc.).

Text of the flyer:
Snake Rodeo wrote:Registration is $40.00 per team. Rules and regulations are as follows:

1. All entrants must abide by the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Department rules and regulations with reference to boats, guns, licenses, etc.

2. Only .410, 16, 20 and 12 gauge shotguns are allowed with a light load shell.

3. Entrants 17 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

4. No live snakes will be counted.

5. All entrants must sign a waiver of liability.

6. A team consists of two people per boat. Teams may not combine their kills.

7. Only snakes killed on Lake Providence will be counted. (Snakes can be killed in any portion of the lake that a boat can reach).

8. No alcoholic beverages will be allowed.

Lunch provided! Door prizes! All money paid back!

Contact Persons: Chief Deputy Glenn Threats, Bill Hopkins, 559-28900

301 1st Street
Lake Providence, LA 71254

On Facebook, there is another contact listed: [email protected].

Sad to see something like this in 2016...they're not even pitching an "educational" aspect as even Sweetwater does.

On Facebook, they have pictures from last year's event (if you have access, it's at this link). I saw a pic of numerous diamondback water snakes, other water snakes, and even a racer (not sure how they shot that "on the lake;" could've been an interesting observational note).

If you wish to email or otherwise contact them regarding your disappointment, please don't resort to name-calling or death threats...
chris_mcmartin

Re: Louisiana "Snake Rodeo" Killfest (GRAPHIC)

Post by chris_mcmartin »

If you can scroll through the photos on Facebook, you'll see the take is almost entirely Nerodia rhombifer. I saw only one cottonmouth, and even a bird someone brought in...I guess they're encouraging kids to pretty much shoot everything they see. :?

In other photos, you can see some of the prizes, as well as the names of the businesses providing them. Might be worth contacting them as well.
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Not that it's any better, but there are at least a 3 cottons in this photo: https://www.facebook.com/14323783203905 ... =3&theater

It looks as though the bird might have actually been in the stomach of one of the cottonmouths, which is cool. But the event is rage inspiring.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Official position of Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (thank to Jeff Boundy for providing):
LAKE PROVIDENCE SNAKE RODEO

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries (LDWF) is aware of the snake rodeo, and our staff, as well as other informed professionals, are working to educate the sponsors and participants about the need and benefit to leaving the snakes as a vital part of the lake’s ecosystem.

The East Carroll Parish Sherriff’s Office periodically sponsors a snake-shoot on Lake Providence. The snake rodeo goes back several decades, but dies off periodically, then gets resurrected. About 2002 or 2003 the event was re-initiated by a woman who told LDWF that there were too many ‘moccasins’ in the lake. An effort was made to educate her about the fact that most were harmless water snakes, and they were vital to the fishery and rookery there (the snakes eat diseased fish, and the baby water snakes are a vital food source for the herons and egrets in the rookery).

The ECPSO has made sure that the event complies with existing Wildlife laws.

For several years Steve George of Vicksburg USACE was on site to identify and educate. He provided counts for four years between 2003 and 2007 (a high of 21 participants [teams], low of 12):

Total snakes that were taken:
Diamondback Water Snake 389
Cottonmouth 93
Banded Water Snake 16
Yellow-bellied Water Snake 4
Rat Snake 3
Speckled King Snake 1

LDWF emphasis that, under current laws, the event is legal, and, educators will be present during the event.
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Ignorant, lame, stupid......I could keep going....
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Why? I don't mean that in an obtuse sense, I am asking out of genuine curiosity-do they have what they perceive to be an overpopulation of water snakes and are trying to cut down on the population? I have seen it stated before that water snakes cut down on native fish populations, however I know that water snakes eat a variety of prey, as well as being prey themselves for waterfowl and other fauna. The baby snakes are a terrific prey item for fish, especially bass, and I always perceived a large number of water snakes as being a sign of a healthy ecosystem. Am I incorrect? Is it possible for there to be a true 'overpopulation' of water snakes to the point where it would tip the scales unfavorably for an aquatic ecosystem? I'm bewildered.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

MCHerper wrote:Why? I don't mean that in an obtuse sense, I am asking out of genuine curiosity-do they have what they perceive to be an overpopulation of water snakes and are trying to cut down on the population? I have seen it stated before that water snakes cut down on native fish populations, however I know that water snakes eat a variety of prey, as well as being prey themselves for waterfowl and other fauna. The baby snakes are a terrific prey item for fish, especially bass, and I always perceived a large number of water snakes as being a sign of a healthy ecosystem. Am I incorrect? Is it possible for there to be a true 'overpopulation' of water snakes to the point where it would tip the scales unfavorably for an aquatic ecosystem? I'm bewildered.
I think some people just look for any and all excuses to go out and shoot their guns. I seriously doubt there is any real logic or thought behind this beyond "I love shooting guns and I hate snakes."
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

cbernz wrote:
MCHerper wrote:Why? I don't mean that in an obtuse sense, I am asking out of genuine curiosity-do they have what they perceive to be an overpopulation of water snakes and are trying to cut down on the population? I have seen it stated before that water snakes cut down on native fish populations, however I know that water snakes eat a variety of prey, as well as being prey themselves for waterfowl and other fauna. The baby snakes are a terrific prey item for fish, especially bass, and I always perceived a large number of water snakes as being a sign of a healthy ecosystem. Am I incorrect? Is it possible for there to be a true 'overpopulation' of water snakes to the point where it would tip the scales unfavorably for an aquatic ecosystem? I'm bewildered.
I think some people just look for any and all excuses to go out and shoot their guns. I seriously doubt there is any real logic or thought behind this beyond "I love shooting guns and I hate snakes."
Thanks CBernz. I realize now that I misread some of the info above, and that the Louisiana Division of Fish and Game is not behind this (I thought that it was both the State and the local sheriff's office behind it).

I'm hoping that something can be done to educate people involved in this and other similar events. I'm sure that an overwhelming number of the people involved in this particular hunt are avid fishermen as well. If they knew what a beneficial prey item that snakes are for bass alone, I wonder if this would be enough to get the ball rolling on some critical discussion. I think that it's within reason. Even if they didn't share a herper's affection for snakes, it would be a nice 'break even' to agree to simply look away and accept them as a natural and even critical part of the ecosystem that they (the outdoorsmen in question) benefit so much from. It would be hard for me to conceive that people who have so much boots on the ground experience in the outdoors (while hunting and fishing) could not be swayed to some extent, however minimal the first steps are. I have to keep that faith, at least.
ksuglennj

Post by ksuglennj »

So lame and stupid and even dangerous. So these people are some how cleaning up behind other's tracks on FB. Deleting the links people make to their page, negative comments or even slightly questioning comments. Even looks like they are blocking people. Open mindedness and willing to learn are not words we can use to describe these folks.

Glenn.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

I contacted Louisiana Dept of Fish and Wildlife to ask why this is allowed, and even more so, why a Sheriff Dept is sponsoring it.

Contact info for LA Dept of Fish and Wildlife is:

Office of Wildlife Public Information / Media Contact Trey IIes, [email protected] (225) 765-5115
Office of Fisheries Public Information / Media Contact – Ashley Wethey, [email protected], (504) 286-8733
Enforcement Division Public Information / Media Contact– Adam Einck, [email protected], (225) 765-2465

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/contact-us
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Received an email back from FWS. They must copy and paste it.
Mr. Becker,

We aware of the snake rodeo, and our staff, as well as other informed
professionals, are working to educate the sponsors and participants about
the need and benefit to leaving the snakes as a vital part of the lake’s
ecosystem.

The East Carroll Parish Sherriff’s Office periodically sponsors a
snake-shoot on Lake Providence. The snake rodeo goes back several
decades, but dies off periodically, then gets resurrected. About 2002 or
2003 the event was reinitiated by a woman who told LDWF that there were
too many ‘moccasins’ in the lake. An effort was made to educate her about
the fact that most were harmless water snakes, and they were vital to the
fishery and rookery there (the snakes eat diseased fish, and the baby