NYC and Huguenot finds

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

shredsteban

NYC and Huguenot finds

Post by shredsteban »

It has warmed up and I've gone out a couple times. Not much luck with any live snakes in NYC yet, but I am finding Red-backed Salamanders every time I've gone out. I found this dead Eastern Garter upside down on a log. You can see where something chewed up its face and tail in the photos. This was in the Bronx, as well as the Red-backed Salamander. Also, last week I went up to the YMCA camp in Huguenot last weekend with my wife and kids. I did some rock and log flipping. Flipped this Northern Ringneck on a mostly shaded slope. There were only 5 or 6 rocks and lots of moss. Flipped 20+ Red-backed sallies in Huguenot, but didn't photograph any of them. Just left them alone. I spent 3 hours hiking off the trails and flipped lots of rocks and logs. Came up on some large rock structures, none of which had any real crevices or "den-ish" looking formations. Was hoping to see Copperheads or Timber rattlesnakes but I have been thankful to find the Ringneck. First live snake I have found since moving to NYC last July.

Dead Eastern Garter, in situ
ImageEastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

See its face?
ImageEastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

Red-backed Salamander from the Bronx
ImageRed-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereous) by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

Northern Ringneck from Huguenot
ImageNorthern Ringneck Snake (Diadophis punctuates edwardsii) by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

My wife is holding the snake for our son to see. I married a woman that loves reptiles as much as I do. We make it a priority to pass down our love and appreciation for the misunderstood animals down to our kids. My son, Elijah, kept saying "Silly snake!" every time the snake would move around. Can't wait until he's old enough to find them on his own. This is only his 3rd time field herping with Dad and he will be 3 next month.
ImageEli and the Ringneck by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

Thank's for reading. Good luck to everyone this season and happy herping :)
-Nick
ZantiMissKnit

Re: NYC and Huguenot finds

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Great pictures! I love to see the next generation's growing love for herps!
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

That photo of your son with the ringneck snake is amazing. Definitely keep that photo safely stored, one day you will all look back on it with big smiles and happy nostalgia. :)
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Thanks guys! Fatherhood is starting to really be enjoyable. We have two kids that are ages 3 and 1. It feels like a constant state of chaos, but moments like this really make me appreciate raising children. Especially when I see how excited my kids are to spend time in nature. My oldest would rather play with acorns in the woods than be distracted by toys or movies and I love that :)