Back in Action

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mtratcliffe

Back in Action

Post by mtratcliffe »

Hey all, I'm happy to report that I've finally returned from my deployment! It's been a long time since I last went herping. I saw a handful of lizard species over in the UAE, plus the briefest glimpse of a snake while dune bashing, but that was the extent of my herping over the past six months.

It feels great to be back in Florida, where I can reliably herp year-round. I've got a Florida Keys/Everglades excursion coming up next week with my wife (no toddler!), so keep your eyes out for a report on that trip in a few weeks. In the meantime, I was able to take my son out for a few hours Wednesday morning, which was the first day of my post-deployment rest & recuperation, and also my first day of herping. We went to a local park in Tampa that has extensive boardwalks through cypress swamp. I've been there many times before, but this was one of the more productive outings as we turned up eight species of herps, plus we heard two species of frogs calling. Thankfully 2016 is off to a good start for herping!

Aside from Brown Anoles and Wood Slaves, my first observed herp upon my return to Florida was a Green Anole. It's always a joy to see these - they aren't as abundant as they are in other parts of the South. At this spot, however, they are quite common. I saw about four that day.

ImageDSCN0696 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0701 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0706 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

And what's a visit to a Florida cypress swamp without some gators?

ImageDSCN0710 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0713 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Couldn't have timed this better!

ImageDSCN0729 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0775 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0790 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

It's always a good day when you get to see a Limpkin

ImageDSCN0704 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Cooters were out in force as well. Mostly Florida Red-bellied Cooters were seen.

ImageDSCN0715 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0795 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0802 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0822 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

The one on the right looks like an old Slider

ImageDSCN0797 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0823 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Peninsula Cooter

ImageDSCN0793 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

In addition to herps, I also missed seeing dragonflies regularly

ImageDSCN0722 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Two Florida Watersnakes were observed that day. I was going to cry if I didn't see any snakes!

ImageDSCN0744 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0748 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0784 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0783 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

My favorite find of the day - this Striped Mud Turtle. It was quite a ways off of the boardwalk, and I was lucky to have spotted it. I don't see these turtles too often - about once or twice a year. I've still yet to turn up a regular Mud or Musk Turtle in Florida.

ImageDSCN0757 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0758 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

Finally, my first skink of the year - a SE Five-lined Skink. I saw this guy right as we were about to exit the boardwalk. It was a nice parting gift on a good day of leisurely herping.

ImageDSCN0808 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr

ImageDSCN0814 by Matt Ratcliffe, on Flickr
Noah M

Re: Back in Action

Post by Noah M »

Glad to have you back! Your pictures are really nice too. I enjoy the water snake in the water photos.

Regarding mud and musk turtles, do you know of any roads that have vegetated canals along them? It seems like I have found several small turtles cruising roads like that, especially if you go out during rain or shortly thereafter.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Looks like a great outing! I love all the turtle shots.
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Woo hoo! Welcome home!

The clarity on your pics is amazing. I really like that first shot of the watersnake in the water. Very nicely done!
mtratcliffe wrote:It's always a good day when you get to see a Limpkin
And an even better day when you can get a good photo of one like that! Those are some cool birds.

--Berkeley
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Noah - I've bought a new camera since last we met, and it is much better at taking shots at range. Turns out it can do zoomed in shots of small subjects a few feet away really well, too. That second Anole picture still amazes me.

There are a few canals near me, but they don't really parallel the roads. My stupid housing office is about to clear-cut some of the vegetation as well. I haven't heard any Green Tree Frogs calling from the ponds yet this year because of this practice.

Berkeley - Thanks for the kind words! That first snake in the water was also called a "Water Moccassin" by a guy who was fishing there. Thankfully he was receptive to my correction.

Limpkins are cool, but their call is piercing. It's unmistakable. That one started calling right after that shot, and it was loud!