:lol:
Porter

Re: Need Expert Opinion On Panamint Rattlesnake ID

Post by Porter »

:lol:
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

For the record, this is the recent correspondence regarding the identity of the specimen in question from Neal Darby; Mojave National Preserve Supervisory Biologist. I had initially suggested to the class that they inform Mr. Darby about the find. Apparently they have not:

Darby, Neal <[email protected]>
Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:26 PM
To: Hanna Strauss
Cc: Peter Myers <[email protected]>, Troy Maikis <[email protected]>
Hi Hanna,

Sorry for the long delayed response, been super on the go this spring.

We do not have documentation of any Panamint rattlesnakes for the Preserve, nor voucher specimens.  Everything has been documented as speckled rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchellii).  So naturally I would be leary of such a claim.  It would be interesting to see their determination as to  why this was a Panamint.

But, you never know,

Congrats!

Neal
Porter

Post by Porter »

the reason they think it's a Panamint is because it's yellow god dammit :lol:

( the pattern and the color are dead on to those Easterns I was talking about. And by coincidence I found them near a college site and by coincidence I found them near it college the site I'm not going to say which one so there's a good chance that called students out in the DES elated bearing desert have it common understanding that those yellow ones with the nice pattern like that are Panda minutes!!!)
Porter

Post by Porter »

Porter wrote: ( the pattern and the color are dead on to those Easterns I was talking about. And by coincidence I found them near a college site and by coincidence I found them near it college the site I'm not going to say which one so there's a good chance that called students out in the DES elated bearing desert have it common understanding that those yellow ones with the nice pattern like that are Panda minutes!!!)

CORRECTION:

the pattern and the color are dead on to those Eastern's I was talking about. And by coincidence I found them near a college the site. I'm not going to say which one, but there's a good chance the callege students out in the desolated barren desert have a common understanding that those yellow ones with the nicely defined pattern lare Panamints

I'll pay 10 bucks to anyone willing to viciously break my phone into a million pieces because I honestly just don't have the heart to do it :lol:

(...are there any screaming punk rock herpers in the house tonight?)
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

I am aware of what was reported as a Panamint being found by a Herp Class a couple of years ago, well within the Preserve boundary. I have been herping the preserve with a college herp class since well before it was a preserve, and I know the classes are "suppose" to give details of their finds to the preserve. I guess that class didn't tell them either.... :roll:

-nightdriver
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

klawnskale wrote:For the record, this is the recent correspondence regarding the identity of the specimen in question from Neal Darby; Mojave National Preserve Supervisory Biologist. I had initially suggested to the class that they inform Mr. Darby about the find. Apparently they have not:

Darby, Neal <[email protected]>
Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:26 PM
To: Hanna Strauss
Cc: Peter Myers <[email protected]>, Troy Maikis <[email protected]>
Hi Hanna,

Sorry for the long delayed response, been super on the go this spring.

We do not have documentation of any Panamint rattlesnakes for the Preserve, nor voucher specimens.  Everything has been documented as speckled rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchellii).  So naturally I would be leary of such a claim.  It would be interesting to see their determination as to  why this was a Panamint.

But, you never know,

Congrats!

Neal
Not surprised at all.