SUCCESS WITH ZONATA!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Wonderjeep

SUCCESS WITH ZONATA!

Post by Wonderjeep »

I first looked into researching herping on the internet about two years ago. I had loved it as a kid (I am 45 now so think 80's) but information was so hard to come by back then. Then I had largely forgotten the joy of searching. I still loved hiking and camping. The occasional find was fun, but going out of my way to specifically look was not something I had done in many years.

The holy grail for me was zonata as I am sure it was for many others. I got Brian Hubbs book and found this forum and have been looking ever since. Along the way I found my first Night Snake, second and third ring-necked snakes, and numerous others including seven Rattlesnakes. One of the more interesting finds was a Cal King in the middle of eating a rattlesnake! That was unusual. But the long anticipated find finally happened. This last Monday I finally found my first zonata!

I have some catching up to do on HERP. And I have to figure out how to post pictures here!

In the meantime I wanted to thank those that helped me. It has been a year since my last post, but the help and encouragement I received here was greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
Calfirecap

Re: SUCCESS WITH ZONATA!

Post by Calfirecap »

Congratulations on your lifer 'Z', that is a big deal.
Posting photos here is time consuming and kind of a pain, but certainly worthy for something like this. You first have to upload your photos to another site like Photobucket or HERP then copy the image, and paste it in your message. When you do this be sure and click 'Preview' just to make sure it took.
It's been a good year for California herping so get back out there soon, and consider attending some of the surveys.

Lawrence
Wonderjeep

Post by Wonderjeep »

Lets see if I can get some pictures up here...

OK. That is not working. All I seem to be able to do is link the photos at HERP.

http://www.naherp.com/photo.php?v_id=331172
http://www.naherp.com/photo.php?v_id=331171
http://www.naherp.com/photo.php?v_id=331170

I would love to have the photos directly in the post. I remember seeing instructions on how to do this, but I am not finding them now. Just a point in the right direction would be appreciated.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Here you go:

Pretty easy, actually. Just right-click the image in naherp and select "Copy Image Location". Then click on "Img" in the task bar and paste the Image Location between the two brackets: Image. Done.

Very nice zonata, btw. :thumb:

Robert
Wonderjeep

Post by Wonderjeep »

Thank you. Couldn't find the trick of it.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Congratulations!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Cool neck on that one :thumb:
C-Rad

Post by C-Rad »

I went through the same story: was into herping as a kid in the 70's and 80's (Ventura County, Ca), got into it again at age 40 when I moved to San Diego (13 years ago). I learned how to find what I'd dreamed about as a kid: zonata and rosy boas, checked those off the lifer list. I got to start passing the interest on Saturday when I took my six year old out to one of my old spots and he found his first rosy boa.
Wonderjeep

Post by Wonderjeep »

What an awesome picture and story.

I don't know if I mentioned it but the person holding the zonata in the picture is my dad. He got me into snakes and finding "critters" when I was really young. I have been taking him out with me on the hunt for the zonata a lot of the time and he was there with me for the big find.

The look on your sons face is great.
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Congratulations! That's an awesome feeling. I bet all those years before finding one made it that much sweeter :beer:

And just to continue that "father-son" herping relationship, here's a photo of our lifer Eastern Garter Snake found here in NYC last week. Not nearly as significant as your first Z! We've been living here for a year but are originally from Southern California.

P.S. - No snakes were harmed by my stick wielding toddler :lol:

ImageEastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis) by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr