Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Coluber Constrictor

Blackwater River State Forest?

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

EvanKY

Re: Blackwater River State Forest?

Post by EvanKY »

I went twice a few years ago when we were vacationing at Navarre Beach and I only found 3 racers, but I wouldn't say that it's bad for snakes. It was just that I was by myself and had never been there before and really did not know the best places to look for what I was hoping to find. I went on 1 day trip and road cruised 1 night as well. I would definitely be willing to try it again if I was in the area. Good luck.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

I haven't been there except for driving through, but it looks like great habitat! Are you into kayaking? I hear that stretch of the Blackwater River is a great paddling spot.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

I'm there all the time. When are you coming through? It's got a lot of neat snakes, including pines and mole kings. It's just bad for road cruising is all because of high traffic, so hiking often becomes "required" unless cruising at night, during which it slows down but for cottons and pygmies. Most activity is crepuscular, but there's a LOT of locals going to and from work during sunup and sunset. Forestry truckers are bad in the area for going out of their way to kill pines and EDBs up there too. It's easy to turn up DORs, hard to get live ones, but they're there.

This is from last month in blackwater and it isn't a corn snake...

Also, almost the entire area has been burned within the past year.
Coluber Constrictor

simus343

Post by simus343 »

I usually do most of my herping there in spring or summer at night. I've never had the chance to herp there in fall. EDBs and Copperheads (in northern regions) are still moving in October. I know copperheads may not be too special for you being in Alabama, but they're a real treat for us here in Florida. :P

Then there is juveniles. Juvi hogs and pines. I got a 2014 juvi pine last August out there, but I've seen juvi pines over in Walton county as late in the year as December. I've never got an adult or juvi hog in Blackwater though.
Coluber Constrictor