Ohio day trip locations.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

chupacabra31

Ohio day trip locations.

Post by chupacabra31 »

Hello. I live in southeast mi and would like to find more salamanders. I can only do a day trip. I know no one is going to give me a pinpoint location and am not asking for that. Just wonder in your humble opinion where is the best diversity in Ohio? Have been to a location in northern central ohio and did pretty good considering the time I had. Thanks in advance for any advice.
AndyKraemer

Re: Ohio day trip locations.

Post by AndyKraemer »

Unfortunately for you, the greatest 'mander diversity in Ohio is in the far southeast. That said (keeping in mind I haven't herped much in Ohio), after poking around Google Maps a little, I would take a look at some parks to the east of Bellefontaine. There is also some interesting diversity around Cleveland (e.g. erythristic P. cinereus).

Good luck, and let us know what you find!
rhyno

Post by rhyno »

While AndyKraemer is 100% right that the best diversity is in the far south/southeast, you'll still be able to find a lot of species that are rare to non-existent in MI (spring, long-tailed, red, marbled, and hellbenders, to name just a few) within a couple hours from the OH-MI border. Richmond County (Mansfield area) in particular has recent records for all of the species I just mentioned (except for marbled) according to the PWRC atlas, and is two hours from the border.
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Agreed w the above. Look at the State Parks, Wildlife Areas, and Wayne NF in the SE part of the State. Seepage and stream side salamanders fairly easy to come by.
rhyno

Post by rhyno »

pjfishpa wrote:Agreed w the above. Look at the State Parks, Wildlife Areas, and Wayne NF in the SE part of the State. Seepage and stream side salamanders fairly easy to come by.
I assume you mean both of those in the generic... I wish we had D. aeneus (and I've yet to find an A. barbouri)
pjfishpa

Post by pjfishpa »

Right. In the generic. I would further add that the higher the water quality of the drainage, creek, or seepage you are looking in the better luck you will have with less seldom found species.