Some So. Utah pointers.... If any of you are willing

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

frodaman

Some So. Utah pointers.... If any of you are willing

Post by frodaman »

Hello all,

I am a pretty avid and involved herper down here in AZ, and I am traveling up to Washington/Iron County for a trip, and wanted to know if anyone has any experience herping in those areas? I understand I am new and randomly popping up in this chapter for advice and that sometimes rubs people the wrong way, but any advice would be much appreciated. I am expecting to probably see the common stuff like pituophis, thamnophis, and lutosis. I just wondered if triangulum or pyromelana is a thing in the mountainous areas.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Jimi

Re: Some So. Utah pointers.... If any of you are willing

Post by Jimi »

Hi Jeff,

I think you'll find us a little more friendly than folks in some places. And there are a number of us here with plenty of experience in those 2 counties. I'm not actually one of them, but maybe I can help get the conversation started.

When is your trip? The 2 counties you mention have an elevational range from under 3000' to over 11000'. Climates vary, and so do seasons of "findability". Most folks from up here actually go down there for the low-desert stuff like sidewinders & banded geckos, and hunt from about March to about May. Stuff you can find higher up down there, is for the most part also available to us closer to home and not worth the drive (on stand-alone "species merit" anyway - there are some gorgeous landscapes down there!)

Are you willing to reciprocate with information and/or herping companionship? Sometimes folks up here like to go down there. Having an AZ resident want to come herp up here probably strikes some as a little funny (you living in a "herper's paradise" etc etc). Folks might be more willing to divulge, if they know you'd be a brother if they came down.

Besides those 2 kings, what else interests you?

I believe there are no definitive milk records for either of those 2 counties, but milks are pretty poorly known up here - just as they are down in AZ. There may be a record for Cedar Canyon (but, milks have a history of being confused with pyros, so...if there isn't a body or photo, who can say what it was). There are definitely some places I think it's worth looking for them elsewhere in Iron County. Paved roads are very limited, so it would mainly be a matter of springtime or - maybe - monsoon-season flipping for them.

Pyros are frequent targets of herpers down there (and further north). So, yes they are a thing. Just as in AZ, it can be easy to forget how low and dry they can go - no need to limit yourself to the ponderosa elevations. But flat ground doesn't work, as you suggest...

cheers
Jimi
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

Thanks Jimi! So, I am actually going down there this weekend. I am going to be in the lower brian head area, as well as probably around the Zion's area. Honestly, anything interests me at this point like racers and crotes. I've never been in that area, and I'm not exactly there for herping specifically, but a herper does not simply NOT do some herping when potential lifers are about! Lol I am definitely willing to help if someone needs advice or help with my neck of the woods.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Well, respect the National Park Service rules - it's hands-off, but you can still see a few things out and about. Zion is a great place for canyon treefrogs. The other area, and similar points north & south, could be great for something more interactive. Take a temp gun and use it - if you're seeing ridiculously hot temps, do something else, somewhere else (and get out earlier the next day). As you must know, a little shade and water are nice in summer, for almost anything living in the desert. And there isn't a kingsnake alive doesn't like a nice tight crack, or rockpile or boulder. You don't need to cover a lot of ground, just examine it very closely, and think about the animals' behavioral and physiological needs (exactly the same here as down there).

Watch out for lutosus, they can be numerous in some of those west-facing canyons east of I-15. Most are really pretty chill, but they're easily overlooked & brushed or bumped - and they won't thank you for that! Ha ha. And you do get the occasional Mr Grumpyface, especially if you jump him out on the crawl.

Pyros here are "controlled", which means you can detain & handle for photos for a short period of time (10-20 minutes I think) and then release, but to harvest one you would need a tag (a "COR" here; cost you $85 but you don't need a general license). Ditto milks - controlled. Put your finds in HERP, if you would, no matter the disposition of the animals.

Good hunting,
Jimi
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

Hey Guys,

I actually didn't get to do much herping, but what I did get to see were some lizards.

Thanks again for the pointers. I am here in Utah county then to Sanpete for the week, and I am hoping to find more stuff. I will post if anything!