It is currently September 18th, 2018, 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: California Utah Northern Arizona and Nevada trip
PostPosted: June 14th, 2016, 7:08 pm 

So I just got back from an 11 day trip out west. Had a great trip. Targeted three potential lifer crots and got two of them, 4 lifer snakes total, and got to herp with some old friends and make some new ones. Here are some highlights

First night - Friday June 3 - Struck out looking for C O Helleri in the hills but got a real treat when we did a little run on one of the flat roads in the Antelope Valley on the way to the hotel. Found a subadult Scutulatus as he was scent tracking a dead k-rat. Not sure if the rodent was roadkill or if he had tagged it. Anyway, got to sit and watch the snake take his meal which was almost as big as he was.

Saturday June 4 - Primary target was again helleri - found 2d.o.r's but none live. Did get this nice Cali king in northern LA County

Monday night the 6th found us in Clark County Nevada - Got my lifer Phyllorhyncus decurtatus - leafnose snake - and saw a couple of Cerastes cerastes including this one

Tuesday and Wednesday the 7th and 8th we were in Sevier County Utah. Found several greta basin gophers Tuesday night, including one massive beast who was somewhere north of 63 inches

Wednesday afternoon and evening we struck crot gold - Four separate Lutosus, Here's pics of three of them (1st and 2nd pic are the same snake - my lifer)

Thursday night we were in Wayne County Utah and scored big with Crotalus oreganus concolor - small, medium (lifer) and large

Friday night we had a herp bonanza in Garfield County Utah - Several gophers, a couple of Thamnophis elegans vagrans - wandering garter snake - which was a lifer for me, my lifer Great Basin spadefoot toad - Spea intermontana - and four more Crotalus oreganus lutosus - including this handsome devil

Of course this wasn't everything we found - but in my view these were the highlights. Also got a nightsnake in Cali, glossies in Nevada and Northern Arizone (Sat night the 11th), a longnose in Nevada, and a fairly fresh d.o.r speck - crotalus mithcelli Pyrrhus - in Nevada that one was Sunday night the 13th

A little disappointed we didn't find a live southern pacific - Crotalus oreganus helleri - it would've also been a lifer and I actually figured it would be the easiest of the three helleri, concolor and lutosus. And that d.o.r speck - heartbreaking. But of course, it gives me a reason to go back again - maybe next year

Thanks to Michael G, Jim G, Steve S, Brian H, Seth W, Melissa B and Thomas W

Post subject: Re: California Utah Northern Arizona and Nevada trip
PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 6:56 am 

Nice post, you did well with the crotes. That desert (?) k-rat is a monster, how long did it take that scute to choke it down? Jealous of your Phyllorhyncus, that is a species that has always eluded me.
Thanks
Nick

PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 9:24 am 

Believe it or not be got it down in fifteen or twenty minutes. We ended up seeing five live leafnose over two nonconsecutive nights in Nevada. Guy I was with said he saw one all of last year. Go figure.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2016, 12:17 pm 

Looks like a great trip and some amazing finds!

Profile WWW