Santa Ana river

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Herper6301

Santa Ana river

Post by Herper6301 »

Hi everyone,

First of my name is Elijah and I'm new to the forum and kind of new to field herping. Now, has anyone here every herped near the Santa Ana river before? Specifically in riverside county. I'm considering going here and want to know if it is a good spot to try. Thanks!
Fieldnotes

Re: Santa Ana river

Post by Fieldnotes »

I explore the Santa River quite often, simply because its close to my house. I don't particularly like the river basin because its not very "natural," its filled with people sleeping in debris huts, introduced herps, and the water itself, is more like sewage by the time it reaches Riverside and Orange Counties. That being said, there are some creatures to be found--African Clawed Frogs, Bullfrogs, some native lizards and snakes (including the Common Garter), and various introduced turtles. I have searched extensively for the introduced Southern Leopard Frogs, but now suspect they are no more. So please, let me know if you happen upon any during your treks. The turtles are pretty cool, because a person never really knows what released species there looking at until sneaking up on it. To spot Softshells, ride a bike along the River Trail while peering at the edge of the river, especially where there is calm water and sandy.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I love when someone new posts once and asks a question, then when they get an answer they don't even post to say "thanks".
Porter

Post by Porter »

Brian Hubbs wrote:I love when someone new posts once and asks a question, then when they get an answer they don't even post to say "thanks".
hmmm, either I'm experiencing Déjà Vu or I've read that somewhere before... :lol:
Porter

Post by Porter »

When it comes from Santa, I think most people feel like no, "thank you's" are needed lol
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Herper6301

Post by Herper6301 »

I apologize for not thanking field notes for the helpful information. So here's my proper thank you to you. Thank you field notes for providing helpful information on herps and such in the river area. I have yet to go there but will inform you on my finds when I do. I hope this makes everyone feel better.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

We all feel wonderful now...see my reply to your kind PM... :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

No worries, didn't hurt my feelings lol I just thought it was funny because I've seen Brian write that probably more than once and word for word verbatim. In fact he may have even dedicated a whole post to it :lol:

Nobody asks me where to find things anyway, cause I don't know where to find anything to begin with :lol: 8-)
Porter

Post by Porter »

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

How's the birds coming?
Ronzio Verme

Post by Ronzio Verme »

This is from few years ago, did not seem to work when I attempted to embed vimeo, so here's the link. I think this is a common water garter. https://vimeo.com/56065332 RV
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

A two-striped Garter and it looks to be from the rocky, higher portion of the Santa Ana River. Is that assumption correct?
mattg

Post by mattg »

definitey a two stripe they are pretty dense upriver from san berdoo
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

common water garter? I love these made-up names...LOL Just kiddin' the new guy a little...I found a Saddled Milk Sucker in AZ last weekend... :lol:
steeve11

Post by steeve11 »

I lived one block away from the Santa Ana river, in Costa Mesa, for 32 years...been up past Prado Dam and down clear to the ocean hundreds of times.....never saw any kind of snake, just one Turtle and some lizards. Just lots of waterfowl, including a Swan once. Guessing you need to look farther up stream.
mattg

Post by mattg »

steeve11 wrote:I lived one block away from the Santa Ana river, in Costa Mesa, for 32 years...been up past Prado Dam and down clear to the ocean hundreds of times.....never saw any kind of snake, just one Turtle and some lizards. Just lots of waterfowl, including a Swan once. Guessing you need to look farther up stream.
Yes as far as snakes go definitely above prado dam is where you want to be , all the way up the berdoo mountains. the fact that you only saw turtles (probably an invasive species: red eard slider, common snapper, or softshell.) shows what happens when you cement an entire river channel. very sad :(
Ronzio Verme

Post by Ronzio Verme »

Fieldnotes wrote:A two-striped Garter and it looks to be from the rocky, higher portion of the Santa Ana River. Is that assumption correct?
Yes, downstream of Seven Oaks Resort, right at the old WPA project remains. They usually don't stay put for long. I was fishing and had my video camera in my pocket, so I was able to get it out quickly. RV