Similarities between Hunting Pokemon and Snakes. Fascinating

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

scottriv

Similarities between Hunting Pokemon and Snakes. Fascinating

Post by scottriv »

I have been hunting Pokemon with my 5 and 8 year old for the last week and it is fascinating how similar Hunting Pokemons is to hunting snakes.

You walk or drive around totally focused on the environment, real or virtual and then all of a sudden, your target presents itself.

Positive brain chemicals get released and after celebrating for a brief moment, you are back at it, searching for another dose of happy brain chemicals.

Thru Pokemon, the rest of the world is now finding out the joys that us snake hunters have always known.

Somebody needs to come up with a virtual snake hunting app for those long cold winter months when everything is in hibernation.
stlouisdude

Re: Similarities between Hunting Pokemon and Snakes. Fascina

Post by stlouisdude »

Humans love the hunt! Even keeping snakes in captivity is about the hunt, finding the one rare species or appearance. I suspect it is the same for flea market folks and coin traders, you just need to find the right thing to get someone excited about and they are off to the races no looking back.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

To the outside observer, they both involve people ambling slowly about in a stilted zigzag pattern and then suddenly getting very excited for no apparent reason. Also, both can cause you to drive like an insane person.
scottriv

Post by scottriv »

cbernz,

My point exactly! :thumb:
krisbell

Post by krisbell »

Yep, I too had noted the striking similarities - not that I am a Pokemon player of course! The best thing about this Pokemon craze is that it now makes it easier to explain the attraction of herping as a hobby.
scottriv

Post by scottriv »

Hunting Pokemon is basically Virtual Reality herping with a few extra VR twists like pokebattles.
kevin h

Post by kevin h »

I was walking back from a herping spot texting my finds to a friend of mine, when someone yelled out their car window as they passed, "POKEMON GO!!!!!!" It was a great experience.
Somebody needs to come up with a virtual snake hunting app for those long cold winter months when everything is in hibernation.
This does exist its called salamanders.
Porter

Post by Porter »