Herping Michigan in July

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

the_cw1

Herping Michigan in July

Post by the_cw1 »

Howdy all!

I recently moved back to Michigan to pursue a MA in philosophy. While waiting for the fall semester to begin, I've been exploring the wonderful state. I lived in Michigan for most of my life before sojourning in Portland Oregon for a while. I met some cool people out there and developed the hobby of field herping. Coming back with some experience under my belt has proven fruitful. I've seen some classic MI herps and some I'd always wanted to see. I was particularly happy about it because the weather has, in general, been awful for herping. It's been hot(~90f most days) and dry. We're finally getting some rain today, actually, so I thought this would be a great time to post some pics for an underappreciated state. These pictures were all taken in SE Michigan, which is quite swampy. I missed the state, but I forgot how bad the mosquitoes could be! :p

When I was a kid, one thing I could always count on were the sheer number of frogs that you could find. I'm not so into frogs/toads as I used to be, but I'll admit my nostalgia got kicked into overdrive my first few days out. I mean, in all seriousness, I saw more frogs my first day out than I had seen in several years out in Oregon! Michigan streams are thick with all types of critters.

ImageFrog Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageBullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr
I love bullfrogs and green frogs. Streams and seeps are thick with them this time of the year. It's difficult to *not* find them.

ImageNorthern Spring Peeper (Pseudacris crucifer) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr
Peepers are a little bit harder to come by, if only for their size. This guy was around 1/2 inch. Finding these guys brought back a memory I had totally forgotten about keeping some peepers as pets when I was a kid. It's funny, but somehow I had totally forgotten about the noises they made and how I ended up letting them go.

ImageWood Frog (Rana sylvatica) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr
Wood frogs are a classic Michigan frog. They're quite common if you hit their proper habitat. This guy and the others I saw that day were quite large (and I recall them being more of a Fall species). Very cool. The ones I found let me set up my tripod and were quite agreeable, which is always nice. Anytime I was camping in after August you'd find heaps of these dudes. They are exceptionally cold resistant, which helps them stay active for quite some time.

ImageAmerican toad (Anaxyrus americanus) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageBaby American Toad (Anaxyrus Americanus) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr
Toads are awesome. It's been difficult finding them this year. I'm assuming the dry weather has made it harder to find them in early morning and dusk hours. I've yet to head out at night, so I've been pretty happy finding these dudes like I have. The baby one was hiding in leaf litter with a few dozen(!) little guys too. I had to walk so carefully to get the shots I did.

ImageBlue-spotted Salamander (Ambystoma laterale) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageLead Phase Red-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageRed-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr
I'm not a big salamander guy, I'll be honest. I flipped for them, but I haven't been doing it so often after I flipped a hornet nest, haha. These species are quite common and most days I'd find a half dozen without putting much effort into it. Finding lead phased red backs is pretty rad, too.

ImageJuvenile Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageCommon musk turtle (Sternotherus odouratus) macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr
The lakeshore habitats I've been frequenting has turned up a few turtles, but getting close enough to shoot the type of pictures I want is difficult. Finding the musk turtle was quite a shock. I know next to nothing about turtles, so hitting the book--by the wonderful Jim Harding--let me learn all sorts of interesting things. I'm still holding out for a big snapper, but we'll see.

ImageEastern Garter Snake Macro - Thamnophis sirtalis by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Ribbon Snake (Thamnophis sauritus septentrionalis) Detail in Tree by Derek Halm, on Flickr
No herping post would be complete without garters and ribbons! These guys are so common. The eastern garters are far more likely to bite than the northwest garters I cut my teeth on back out west. Who knew there was such a difference in temperament. The ribbon snake pictured above posed for me because it seemed like it wanted to eat my hat, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

ImageJuvenile Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon) Macro by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon) by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageWater snake eating frog by Derek Halm, on Flickr
Water snakes are, as anyone who interacts with them knows, grumpy and flighty snakes. Finding them when they are on land is a difficult endeavor, and had me crawling around in the mud more than I would like to admit. They smell bad, like to bite, and are generally unfriendly snakes. For what it's worth, that makes them fun to look for and shoot.

ImageEastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus) S Position by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageEastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus) by Derek Halm, on Flickr

ImageEastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus) by Derek Halm, on Flickr
My target. When I was a kid, I had *always* wanted to see rattlesnakes. They felt like something that lived far away and were "out west" and couldn't be found. Who would have thought one of the best sites for them in the state was less than 10 miles from my childhood home? These snakes are cryptic. I've basically stepped on them before and they don't make a noise and just slither on by. That makes it all the more fun when I do find one. I love shooting them, and there's a certain charm in the fact that they cannot be found unless you're specifically looking for them.

Hope you enjoy the post! I've got another month before school, so I hope to find more interesting subjects. Here's to hognose snakes! :beer:
Bostaff of Asclepius

Re: Herping Michigan in July

Post by Bostaff of Asclepius »

Great stuff!
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

Great post! Especially love the Massasaugas. They're a big target of mine for when we visit my wife's family in Michigan!
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

Your photos are great, very crisp. I really like that cinereus with the red flecking. It looks like it's leaning a little towards erythrism. Saugas never get old.
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

Thanks all! The sistrurus were hard to come by at first, but there's something to be said for the old college try........and asking other folks for advice, lol. :D
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Thanks for sharing Derek! My favorite part of herping in Michigan is finding Ambystoma laterale, such incredible animals. Glad you found Sistrurus catenatus, I know they were a target species for you. Wonderful photographs as always. I look forward to seeing many more. Have you seen any Glyptemys insculpta yet? Watching them hunt for worms is a magical experience.
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

I haven't seen one just yet. A school science teacher had one when I was a kid, so I have seen their fun, ravenous antics first hand. We'll see! I've got another month yet. I'll be heading back to northern MI in the next week or so and I hope that brings something out.