Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

blacktara

Thailand - Some cool "Not-a-snakes"

Post by blacktara »

Asian Turtoise - Manouria emys pharei

Giant Asian Pond Turtle - Heosemys grandis

Siamese crocodile - Crocodylus siamensis

Caecilian - According to our guide, an undescribed species - Ichthyophis - we also found a d.o.r yellow striped one (I believe kohtaoensis)

Common Asian toad - Bufo melanosticus

Barred gliding lizard - Draco taeniopterus

Blandford's gliding lizard - Draco blandfordii

Orange-winged gliding lizard - Draco maculatus

Common parachute gecko - Ptychozoon lionotum

And a couple of really cool non-herps

Sun bear - Helarctos melayanus - at Kaeng Krachen

Dhole - Asian wild dog - Cuon alpinus

Sunda pangolin - Manis javanica - From Kaeng Krachen - maybe the coolest find of the whole trip

numpty

Re: Thailand - Some cool "Not-a-snakes"

Post by numpty »

Nice pics! Lucky you to see the sun bear. And that darned croc in Khao Yai! I've been in that park at least four times now, and only once - perhaps - caught a momentary glimpse of the top of its head before it submerged. Or perhaps I didn't see it at all. (Though I did come face to face with a bull elephant.) Was it at the spot with the knocked-down warning signs?
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

There were some no swimming signs -- it was along a trail that starts by a waterfall and some rapids and further upstream the water widens and slows and the croc hangs out there.
numpty

Post by numpty »

Aye, that's it, between Pha Kluai Mai Waterfall (campsite) and Heo Suwat Waterfall. When I first went there five years ago there were a few "Beware of Crocodile" signs at that wide stretch, which at the time I guessed must actually refer to monitors. On my next few visits there were more professional-looking signs, by which time I knew there actually was a crocodile there (for a while they said there were two). On my last visit two months ago the specific crocodile signs were down. I found two of them stuffed under bushes ... I suspected guides might have done that to make it more difficult for independent hikers, though it could also have been the result of stormy weather (though in that case you might hope someone would have stuck them back up again).

By the way, that's a very cool story about the dhole in your other post ... sounds amazing to have witnessed that!
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

I also heard that there used to be two crocs. There's only one now. I guess they aren't quite sure how it got there - might've been a captive that was released.