A California Boy's Trip to Southern Arizona

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jeremy Wright

A California Boy's Trip to Southern Arizona

Post by Jeremy Wright »

Ever since I really got into herping a few years ago and discovered this forum, I had heard stories and stories and seen hundreds of incredible photographs taken from Southern Arizona during the monsoon rains. Ridgenose and Rock rattlesnakes, vinesnakes in catclaws, toads and gila monsters amongst the rains. Everything was so incredibly different from what I knew.
In 2013 my dad had a biology conference in the Southwestern Research Station, just above Portal in the Chiricahuas. While I knew I was in the right area at the right time, I had very little knowledge of a lot of the species and their habitats. Two days later I had knocked off a few lifers and seen a few snakes and with no exaggeration, thousands of toads that were out in the rain. I was hooked, and I knew I had to make a trip during monsoon season again.
After lots of research, and a few tips from great herpers I happen to be friends with, I embarked on our short but sweet trip to the Santa Rita and Huachuca Mountains. Here are some highlights.

Within 10 minutes of our first cruise, a young Gila monster ran across the road. Unfortunately he dipped down a hole before we could get close and take photos. Bummer.

Crotalus atrox were everywhere. By far the most common snake of our trip. I think we saw 8 or 9 on a single pass of a 5 mile stretch of road. We also saw many Mohave rattlers, yet most were small or drab.

ImageWestern Diamond Backed-Rattlesnake by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

ImageWestern Diamond-Backed Rattlesnake by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

ImageWestern Diamond-backed Rattlesnake by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

Black-Tailed Rattlesnakes were also numerous. After seeing and photographing one, we started the car only to see another one, but much larger in the headlights maybe 50 feet ahead. Beautiful snakes. They remind me a lot of our Red Diamond rattlesnakes with their less aggressive attitudes. This large guy was the most obliging of the ones we saw.

ImageNorthern Black-tailed Rattlesnake by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

These cool Aphonopelma chalcodes tarantulas were out every night we were there. We also flipped a few during the day under logs.

ImageArizona Blond Tarantula by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

Toads were out in force. We ended up seeing 7 species, including this cute little guy, a Mexican Spadefoot.

ImageMexican Spadefoot by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

And the always amazing but not as cute, Sonoran Desert Toad.

ImageSonoran Desert Toad by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

My favorite night cruised find came shortly after a photoshoot with an atrox. I met another herper who lives close by to where I was and he told me this was by far the prettiest Tiger Rattlesnake he had seen along this road.

ImageTiger Rattlesnake by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

ImageTiger Rattlesnake by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

Views and Plants were nothing less then spectacular. Here's a view from near the base of Box Canyon Road and a gorgeous Velvetpod Mimosa found a little bit higher.

ImageSanta Rita Mountains, Southern Arizona by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

ImageVelvet Pod Mimosa by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

Day hiking produced my favorite finds of the trip. Some incredible Banded Rock Rattlesnakes. I was lucky enough to find these guys within the first few hours of my search.

ImageSouthern Arizona Habitat by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

ImageBanded Rock Rattlesnake by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

These guys were incredible. I'll end with a beautiful Sonora Barrel Cactus from the same area.

ImageSonora Barrel Cactus by Jeremy Wright Photography, on Flickr

After shooting the lepidus we got drenched in rain. That shot out our chances of seeing a Ridge Nosed. Next time. The best I could do with a green rat snake too was a fairly small dor also on our first cruise, minutes after seeing the gila. That was a bad luck night.
I'm as hooked as ever, and I'll be back soon. I know I met a lot of herpers out, and I can't remember all of you, but if you are reading this, Hi! Thank you also for those who helped me and gave me tips on habitat, searching techniques, and conditions. Given our few limited days, I think we did well. What an incredible area you guys have!
Happy herping,
Jeremy
John Koerner

Re: A California Boy's Trip to Southern Arizona

Post by John Koerner »

Very nice images, Jeremy :beer:
Jeremy Wright

Post by Jeremy Wright »

Thank you Jack! It was an awesome trip.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Nice pics. Good to see some flowering s. AZ plants in there... :)

TC
Jeremy Wright

Post by Jeremy Wright »

Thank you Terry! The scenery, especially for me not knowing the area well, was incredible. Really pretty plants and flowers.