Field herping in Central Florida

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

snakenole

Field herping in Central Florida

Post by snakenole »

Anyone in the Orlando/Central Florida area do a lot of local field herping? There don't seem to be too many areas to hunt near me--everything is either so built up or it's private property. Not really sure where to start. I guess some of the state parks would be good--I only want to observe and photograph, no collect. I would love to get out and there see some animals like I used to as a kid. Just not sure where to begin...Thanks, Mike
Noah M

Re: Field herping in Central Florida

Post by Noah M »

Can you give more specifics as to what you're looking for? If you just want to see anything, walking the edge of a pond should turn up some things.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

snakenole

Post by snakenole »

Thanks guys. I'm actually hoping to see just about anything. Mainly snakes, but any herp would be great. It's not so much a matter of particular habitat as it just finding areas that open and available to herping.

You are right, there are a lot of state parks. I just wasn't sure if people actually herped in those because of rules and regulations.

When you are in the state parks are you sticking mainly to the trails or pretty much going all over? Obviously you can't collect and that's not my intention anyway but I know at National Parks they are pretty strict about not being able to move or touch an animal either. I would want to capture for photography but then release. Have you run into any issues with that?

Thanks again.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I would not capture from a state park to hold for pictures. Just do in situ shots or pose it up right there and do your best.

There are herps everywhere in this state. In my apartment complex property I've seen probably two dozen species.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

snakenole

Post by snakenole »

Thanks for the replies.

The state parks sound like a great place to start. I've been hiking in several of them and have seen a few herps by chance, but have never gone with the sole intention of looking for herps. I do see herps pretty regularly in my neighborhood as we have a lot of trees and natural areas. We also back up to a conservation area, but it's often wet and it's very overgrown and hard to maneuver in. In my own yard, I've seen black racers, ringneck snakes, yellow rat snakes, a coral snake (DOR, unfortunately), gopher tortoise, LOTS of Cuban tree frogs (too many), toads, glass lizards, tons of anoles (both brown and green) and some house geckos. But I'd definitely like to see more variety if I go out looking for them.

And yeah, I'll probably wait until it cools off a bit. It's brutal for most of the day right now.

Thanks again for the tips.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

You should roadcruise the Green Swamp. You should explore it first during the day to get the lay of the roads, as some of them go off the beaten path and are closed at night. Roadcruising during the summer or after heavy rains should be productive.

Sounds like you have quite the selection of herps in your own yard! That's really cool.