University of Tennessee - Student Chapter of TWS herp help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

cjacobi

University of Tennessee - Student Chapter of TWS herp help

Post by cjacobi » August 27th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Hey guys -

My name is Charles Jacobi, I've already introduced myself in another post so this might be a repeat.. Though, I'm the VP of our The Wildlife Society student chapter and recently our chapter has seen a big interest in herpetology.
I'm trying to find events for our students to take part in. Anything related to herps or herping goes. Our student are very eager to learn.

If anyone knows of some resources I can tap into it would be appreciated.
Thanks

simus343

Re: University of Tennessee - Student Chapter of TWS herp he

Post by simus343 » August 28th, 2016, 4:59 am

I don't know of any events off the top of my head.

That being said, you could try to coordinate something with local officials if you are University affiliated. If you have a professor that can sponsor the event, permits can usually be obtained to give special privilege / permission to a student event involving wildlife that the general public doesn't have access to (i.e. restricted conservation land, permission to interact with various species, etc).

Jimi

Post by Jimi » September 1st, 2016, 1:36 pm

Chris, if you have some drive, organizational acumen, and imagination you could probably do something that would make you some friends here. The TN state wildlife agency is rather notoriously restrictive in its stance towards herping (basically, it's "hands off the herps"). As simus notes, having an academic "flag to wave" is nearly always an advantage in securing a scientific collecting license or permit. If you could organize a herping bioblitz (maybe with a helpful faculty member as the permittee or PI) on an interesting, under-herped piece of land (say, a large state WMA), that might constitute a useful little piece of fence-mending between herpers and the agency. Some points to ponder:
  • - student-TWS members could meet some agency biologists
    - talented herpers from FHF could teach the students some of the finer points of species ID, habitat preferences, behavior, etc (boning up your field skills, and maybe creating some new herpers)
    - herpers and agency biologists could meet
    - you all might come up with some decent records
    - you personally will get some experience coordinating the efforts and wishes of a disparate group of organizations and individuals - good training for a career in wildlife (if you think it's all just fun with animals, think again)
Just a thought. Good luck in all your endeavors.

Jimi

EvanKY

Post by EvanKY » September 5th, 2016, 8:22 am

The Tennessee Herpetological Society is going to be having their annual meeting & outing at the Knoxville Zoo this month. I can't remember the exact weekend, it usually runs Friday through Sunday. They rotate which part of the state they have it in each year. This would be an excellent opportunity for you & your students because it's set up basically for college students & professors. They can get discounts for travel, etc. I lived in Nashville for 13 years and was a member during that time. I'm still on their email distribution and when they have it in northwest TN or the Clarksville or Nashville areas I still try to go. Try to search for it or call the Knoxville Zoo, or contact TWRA because some of the members usually work for TWRA. I hope this helps. Thanks.

Evan

cjacobi

Post by cjacobi » September 6th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it. :thumb: