Turtle

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

karmatsunami

Turtle

Post by karmatsunami »

Hi I came across this turtle and was hoping to get it Identified please it was found on the pacific coast of panama near costa rica not great pictures but not a co-operative subject I waited for 15 minutes but it wouldn't come out of it's shell until I put it back
Image Image
Jeff

Re: Turtle

Post by Jeff »

Looks like a Scorpion Mud Turtle (Kinosternon scorpioides).
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Kinosternon leucostomum is my 0.02cents
karmatsunami

Post by karmatsunami »

Great thanks for the responses, I am curious about the blue eyes is that an age feature as it was just a small specimen? or could it be a water quality issue as the small pond it was in appeared quite stagnant.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

It looks kinda like the Kinosternon we have here in Florida, so another vote for that Genus.
Porter

Post by Porter »

karmatsunami wrote:Great thanks for the responses, I am curious about the blue eyes is that an age feature as it was just a small specimen? or could it be a water quality issue as the small pond it was in appeared quite stagnant.
It was burned in a fire causing it to go blind and display odd colors resulting in this complication of accurate species depiction.

Cheers :beer:
karmatsunami

Post by karmatsunami »

Porter wrote:
karmatsunami wrote:Great thanks for the responses, I am curious about the blue eyes is that an age feature as it was just a small specimen? or could it be a water quality issue as the small pond it was in appeared quite stagnant.
It was burned in a fire causing it to go blind and display odd colors resulting in this complication of accurate species depiction.

Cheers :beer:
Nice work Sherlock the fire started by Moriatry undoubtedly Image
Porter

Post by Porter »

Thx :thumb: It was underground in a hole during the fire facing the opening of the hole
Porter

Post by Porter »

This is the only pic I could find of a turtle caught in a forest fire but I found a gartersnake that went blind because of late summer heat damage and dehydration. His eyes looked just like that after he finally shed off the skin that was baked/melted to his eye caps

ImageToasted Shell by Bree McGhee, on Flickr
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

I seriously doubt a fire was involved, more likely is that your flash illuminated the ocular fluid in the eye and the refraction of light is giving it a milky blue appearance. That turtle looks to be in grade A condition with typical coloration. I've seen turtles that survived wildfires and they are either completely unscathed or they have some pretty bad scarring (and it is usually on the distal end since turts/torts don't back into their burrows).

As shown in the above post. Also, kinosternon do not utilize burrows per se.
Porter

Post by Porter »

I too these pics because it was a melanistic gartersnake (rare as they come, morph) and I thought it was gonna die. So, at least I would have some disgusting pics of the greatest snake I ever found. But, I didn't give up on it and nursed it back to health. After it shed he couldnt see and had a hard time finding fish but eventually was able to feed himself after a month. After that he was healthy with no problems other than being blind. Here's before and after pics. Cant really see the eyes good in the before pics because I was try to shoot the snake in a way them hid the grossness of him.

ImageBlind Melan 1 sun baked from drought by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBlind Melan 2a sun baked from drought by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

These were after first shed... better but still pretty bad. you can see the unprotected damage for the first time

ImageBlind Melon 2 watermark by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBlind Melan 3 watermark by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

These were taken at full health after rehab at least 4 sheds later, maybe more...idk

ImageMelanistic Valley Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageMelanistic Valley Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageMG for Gary by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
karmatsunami

Post by karmatsunami »

Nice snake, where I am from in Nova Scotia there are islands in the Halifax harbour (georges island/macnabs island) with different colour morphs due to their isolation I never got a chance to see them though. Still not sure about the blue eyes though as it wasn't the flash the eyes are blue to the naked eye as well (There was a fire here 2 or 3 years ago but not sure this specimen is that old), if it is a water quality issue its' pond has gotten lots of fresh water as it has been raining non stop for 2 days and much more in the forcast. When I found the turtle the pond was reduced to 6ft by 2ft and less than a foot of water about 50-60 gallons I would estimate.
lateralis

Post by lateralis »

Interesting garter snake porter. Regarding the turtle - I still doubt fire was involved, not saying it is a definite but I doubt it. Possibly some sort of infection I don't know but in all other aspects the turt looks to be in good condition. I've found numerous kinos in Belize in some pretty lousy water and they all looked fine.
Cheers