Snake Fungal Spread & Field Herping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

stlouisdude

Snake Fungal Spread & Field Herping

Post by stlouisdude »

What do you guys think the risk is of field herping speeding the spread of SFD? I know personally I was all over Carlyle, Southern IL, and the Eastern half of MO including the SE cotton dens. Since I moved, I've been all over Western MO & Eastern NY, plus a few locations in CT and in various South American Locations with the same boots. Personally, I think the risk of spores cross contimating in my case is fairly low as I often just kicked my boots off outside and left them to the elements which I think would render most spores useless, but what about the guys dragging props and photo rigs which are kept in climate controlled conditions?

Having grown mushrooms for edibles, I know contamination from mold spores a major issue unless supreme sterilization and innoculation measures are taken is also an issue, though,
MCHerper

Re: Snake Fungal Spread & Field Herping

Post by MCHerper »

There was a similar conversation on another thread about the spread of chytrid via equipment, boots, and other personal items that are taken from once location to another. Kelly MC had some great input on how to effectively use bleach, contact time, etc., hopefully she can chime in here on that aspect. Personally, I believe that spores are extremely resilient and I do rinse boots with bleach solution using proper protocol when visiting dens, vernal pools and other sensitive locations. That being said, if you are hiking on trails and in proximity to habitat that others regularly access, you aren't going to be the main vector since very few others are washing their boots. I know that a few others will say that it's overkill and provide contradictory arguments, but I feel that if there is anything that I can personally do to curb the spread of it, I'm happy to do so.
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

I found the thread, here's a link to it: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=23285. I mistook it for a tongue in cheek April Fool's thread at first, so my first post on the thread was meant to be tongue in cheek as well. There's a lot of good info there from others.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

It seems reasonable that direct transmission would be the most important threat, in hibernaculum, predation and mating animal contacts.

I think infection potentials of human actions in the wild would be possible but much more difficult to determine than transmission by proxy in a closed system, which is why hygiene protocols exist in lab, captive and veterinary formats. But it has been established that antisepsis of complex, porous surfaces is more difficult to achieve than true smooth surfaces. I think the first studies of surfaces hygiene were done comparing rubber materials to glass with bacteria.
craigb

Post by craigb »

Just a thought....
Would microwaving for 20-30 seconds (or longer) have any effect? On shoes, or porous, non metallic equipment ?

I used to micro, bedding material to get rid of book lice that thrived in bed o cob.

I also micro, vermiculite prior to use as egg laying strata in my kingsnake and milksnake laying boxes...

Craig
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Micro waving items fabricated of different materials could tricky, as some materials heat up faster than others to melt or degrade or burn a surrounding material. ie; nylon, vinyl,melts readily, cotton singes etc. But micro waving itself is a good killer of pathogens. if the duration is enough to surpass the uneven heat distribution through the materials without wrecking parts of the shoes.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I think if you were a home-body, just working your county or whatever, I wouldn't stress it - you're way, way, WAY outshot by all the wild animals, livestock, Jeeps etc running around.

However as a globe-trotter I'd say you have a biosecurity responsibility. Spores are weird; kind of immortal in some instances. So first, scrub & rinse "all" the dirt off, then I'd go with a chemical. I like the dry chlorine granules you can get at a pool & spa store. Make up a solution any time you need, but the granules don't lose potency like liquid bleach you buy does. Liquid bleach is like orange juice - the good stuff in it goes away fast. You have to use it up fast.

Good question, I applaud you thinking about it.