TX in April - visiting family

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

krismunk

TX in April - visiting family

Post by krismunk »

Hi there,

I'm a Danish herper - occasional contributor since the precrash days - planning a visit to my sister and her family in the Woodlands in April, hoping for a few local herping tips & contacts.

Some of you might remember me, for those that don't feel free to peruse my old posts from around Europe, Israel, Greece and, yes, Texas. I was here for the first time in 2014, happy to find a few herps along the way, not least thanks to the help of some of you kind gentlemen.

This time around - as last - it's a 13 day, April 8-21, family visit with my wife and kid. It's really not a herping trip but in prime herping season I'm sure I'll find my way out to snoop around a bit anyway. I'm guessing mid April must be just about the best time of year to find good numbers and variety out on the crawl while flipping is still decent and cruising also getting underway throughout much if not most of the state.

If anyone has the time I'd love to meet up somewhere along the way to say hi and ushamedly leach a little on your local expertise. I don't expect anyone to plan that far in advance but if you're interested let's get in touch and see whether we can't make something happen.

I still have little idea what we'll be doing, where and when. What I do now is we'll be based in the Woodlands and we'll likely spend about half of our time - including Easter weekend - on a trip out west somewhere, perhaps back to Big Bend, perhaps the Guadalupe mountains, probably with a stop in Austin.

Asides from the possibility of meeting up I'd be happy with any herping tips you're willing to share - be it in relation to localities or otherwise. I got plenty of tips last time around so I don't really expect anything but one can never have too much intel so I figured I might as well ask anyway.

I'm happy to find anything be it frogs, turtles, lizards or sallies but in TX at least, snakes are at the top of my list.

Particular targets for east TX include all three Lampropeltis, coachwhips, mud snakes, timber rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and copperheads (the sure thing I nonetheless managed to miss last time around). I'd also love to find an ambystomatid of any species, though.

Out west pretty much all snakes will be new and exciting to me. Also, not knowing where we're going (and acknowledging herping won't be the primary focus) I won't set up an elaborate target list, though stuff like blacktails, rock rattlers, & horned lizards would be nice...

Hope to hear from you guys. Any response will be welcome.
chris_mcmartin

Re: TX in April - visiting family

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Will send PM. April's a LITTLE early for West TX, but you'll probably find an alterna and I'll be forever jealous.