Job Opportunity - Permanent w/ Benefits

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jimi

Job Opportunity - Permanent w/ Benefits

Post by Jimi »

https://www.washco.utah.gov/forms/human ... ?jobID=344
Only applications submitted online by January 29, 2017 will be accepted.
good hunting -
klawnskale

Re: Job Opportunity - Permanent w/ Benefits

Post by klawnskale »

I thought Ann McLuckie was doing this with your agency. I will be working on Fort Irwin as a subcontractor for 6 months starting next month doing ESA Surveys for Desert Cymopterus, Lane Mountain Milkvetch, Mohave Ground Squirrels, Mojave Fringe Toed Lizards and Burrowing Owls. Pay is decent. The downside is that I have to live in Barstool for 6 months; but I will manage...
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I thought Ann McLuckie was doing this with your agency.
Hi Hannah, nice to hear from you. Lots of folks have been away from here a long time.

So anyway, yeah, she does. Note however - this job is with another agency. The position has existed quite some time, it isn't new, the former incumbent got promoted.

I imagine this job entails significant coordination with UDWR (Ann), with USFWS (Nathan), and with other partners and stakeholders such as BLM and county fire, county and state attorneys general, etc. Just like with virtually any public-trust natural resource responsibility, "it takes a village".

I would observe - simply as a guy with some experience and some perspective - that success in this kind of position would probably require several things, several attributes and behaviors and understandings. Among them: a clear sense of who they work for (Washington County, Utah), the interests of that institution (ensuring the maintenance of the county's HCP, in the face of diverse and sometimes powerful challenge(r)s), the proper relationship of their institution to other institutions with a legal stake but sometimes divergent interests, and enough good discretion and job performance to survive the sometimes politically-savage world of employment in the executive branch at the local government level.

The last part (discretion plus performance) would probably require 1) a strong work ethic and a solid background in desert tortoise methods and context, and 2) the ability to compartmentalize personal views and the requirements and realities of the job. And to stow the personal views. I'm just guessing here, and superimposing or projecting some stuff I've learned over a long time in public service.

So I'd say it would be an awesome job for someone who's a good fit, and a really tough, conflicting job for someone who's not a good fit.

Good luck in Barturd, and take care out there in the desert. It can kill, easily.

cheers
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Good luck in Barturd, and take care out there in the desert. It can kill, easily.

cheers
Well aware of the dangers of the desert. Worked three seasons in the Mojave. That's why they hired me.