Tejon Ranch Trips for 2017

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

todd battey

Tejon Ranch Trips for 2017

Post by todd battey »

Hello all,

The presently planned 2017 dates for herping trips to Tejon Ranch are the following:

- March 18 (Sa)
- April 9 (Su)
- April 22 (Sa)

More specific destinations will be worked out depending on weather and road conditions. If you're interested in attending any of these trips, please PM me your name, phone number, email, and the date you are interested in and I'll put you on the list. It should be a great herping and wildflower season.

I'll see you at the Ranch.

Todd
RobertH

Re: Tejon Ranch Trips for 2017

Post by RobertH »

Todd,

Nicholas and I are potentially interested in attending all three surveys, but more likely will attend only one or two and not more than one in the month of April. Which one(s) we attend will, in part, depend on exactly where we are going. We are especially interested in the high-elevation survey, but understand that road conditions may not permit that.

I'll e-mail you as soon as I have settled on specific date(s).

Thanks a lot for organizing!

Robert
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

I don't know what my schedule is either but given the opportunity I would attend all three.
huck

Post by huck »

Quick question: what herps are there at Tejon?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hey Huck, It depends what part but there are a lot of norpacs and gophers pretty much everywhere, but also zonata and rubber boas in the higher elevations. Mojave rattlesnakes, night lizards, spiny lizards and long-nose leopard lizard, in the desert part. Kings, ringnecks, san joaquin coachwhips and more norpacs and gophers in the more northern areas with all the poppies. Also here and there are coast horned lizards and yellow-blotched ensatinas. There is a lot of cool stuff, and with a lot of people you always find something.

Nicholas
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

The current plan for the March 18 trip is to go to the San Joaquin Valley side of the Ranch where the wildflowers should be good-great. We'll meet at the TR Conservancy headquarters, then drive to the north side of Bear Mountain. After exploring that area, we may visit another nearby site and then drive to the lower-mid Tejon Canyon area. Last year the wildflowers were amazing. We usually see Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, gopher snake, Gilbert Skink, and a few other things.

If interested, please send me a PM using fieldherpforum. Please include all the info requested in the original post.

Thanks,

Todd
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

Looks like I'll definitely be able to make it Mar 18 and Apr 9.

The 22nd is a maybe at this point, depends on my work schedule.

Looking forward to peeking under the AC laid out last year
fangmaster

Post by fangmaster »

We are interested in all 3, depending on weather conditions
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

We'll meet at the Tejon Ranch Conservancy at 8 AM on Saturday, March 18. I will email a map to those that provided me their email address through a FHF Private Message (PM). We have a good-sized group at this point.

Todd
Chrispherp

Post by Chrispherp »

Sorry for the late notice, my daughter Jenna and I are planning on attending this Saturday's TR Survey. Sounds like the conditions should be good, looking forward to seeing everyone again. Let's hope no one damages their vehicles or has one break down like last year!

Chris P.
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

Chrispherp wrote: Let's hope no one damages their vehicles

hahaha
fangmaster

Post by fangmaster »

Hey Todd, sent you a message about Saturday check your fb messages
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

Mark, that's a classic shot. Note to self: don't rely on Jim to spot you when backing up in tall grass with the occasional hidden boulder.
fangmaster

Post by fangmaster »

Great day found alot
mattg

Post by mattg »

whats the totals of things found?
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

It wasn't a whole lot, as usual. Three NorPacs, including one pair and a very nice golden one (Nick may post some better pics than mine below), 3-4 gopher snakes, a couple of CA toads, a few Baja tree frogs, one alligator lizard (I think), and a dozen or so skinks, most of them Gilbert's, some of the them Skilton's, and some that were unclear. We took tail clippings of the latter for genetic analysis by someone (first name Sean) who's researching the genetics of skinks in that general area. Of course, we also saw a lot fence lizards.

Still, it was a great day out on the ranch with an awesome group of people. And by collecting tissue samples of those skinks we were able to help out a researcher who really needed and appreciated them. So, I think it was a worthwhile effort overall.

Group photographing the golden NorPac

ImageP1070378 by Robert Hess, on Flickr

ImageP1070381 by Robert Hess, on Flickr

Group photographing the pair of NorPacs Jeff Mintz found under a ledge at the top of the hill:

ImageP1070368 by Robert Hess, on Flickr

ImageP1070374 by Robert Hess, on Flickr

ImageP1070371 by Robert Hess, on Flickr

Rocky ridge in Tejon Canyon

ImageP1070375 by Robert Hess, on Flickr

Robert
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

Nice shots Robert. Thanks for sharing them.

Our next trip will be Sunday, April 9. We plan to go to the high country. More specifically, Blue Ridge. We'll start on the Antelope Valley side, probably hit a few ponds in the foothills where we might find some Sierra Gartersnakes. Then head up Gato Montez Canyon to the ridge for high elevation species. There is an optional stop at the end of the day to visit the High Desert Hunt Club property located south of Hwy 138 - there is a pond there were Two-striped Gartersnakes are a possibility and helleri could be found in this area.

If you're interested in this trip, please send me a FHF Private Message with the full names of all that will ride in your car, email address, and cell phone number. Any minors attending without a parent need special arrangements ahead of time to get the waivers signed by a parent.

Todd
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

I'm bumping this post back up to the top of the list to see if there are any others interested in attending the trip this Sunday, April 9.

Todd
Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

Gonna do my best to be there. It'll be my first time on a Tejon Trip. Been trying to make it the past few years and it looks like I'll finally be there.
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

I'm going to try to get up there as well. Can you pm me time and place. Thanks
fangmaster

Post by fangmaster »

So, how did today go? What was found?
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

It was freezing the night before, and remained in the low 50s most of the day. That said it was still fun to get out. Low elevation stuff included intergrade gopher, northern Pacific, coschwhip, 3 or 4 legless lizards, a few night lizards, and a ton of Gilberts skinks and Baja chorus frogs. After we started up the mountain we stopped for salamanders but the road was blocked. One yellow blotches ensintina was found. After moving many trees we got up to around 6500 feet, but saw no Zs or Rubbers. We did find a striped racer, a northern Pacific that dropped into a deep opening that triggered at least one other no. Pac. (Den) and 3 alligator lizards. Also a ton of skinks. All in all it was good to get up there and next trip should have better weather...
todd battey

Re: Tejon Ranch Trips for 2017 - last trip of 2017?

Post by todd battey »

We have one more Tejon Ranch trip on the calendar for April 22, which happens to be Earth Day. Please send me a private message through the Field Herp Forum if you are interested in attending. If you have not already given me your full name, email, and cell phone number this season, please provide that in the PM. Also the number of other people that would be in your vehicle and their names.

Whether we end up doing a trip on April 22 or not will depend on how many people are interested and other scheduling considerations. Exactly where we go at Tejon Ranch will depend on weather conditions leading up to Saturday, April 22.

Thanks,

Todd
todd battey

Post by todd battey »

The trip that was tentatively planned for April 22 (Sa) has been cancelled due to limited interest and competing priorities. Another date may be added later this season.

Enjoy your spring herping.

Todd