A very late January in Review post

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Nicholas

A very late January in Review post

Post by Nicholas »

So this is an extremely tardy post, as it is already past February 20th. January was a bit slow with snakes (1 helleri that I see every time I look into his den, regardless of conditions, which is right by my house), but we still managed to sum up a few interesting finds.
Here goes:
Here is my extremely exciting first find of 2017, the elusive uta.
ImageWestern Side-Blotch Lizard (Uta stansburiana elegans) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

I also found and photographed some slenders. I tried a bit harder than usual and am quite happy of the results.

ImageBlack Bellied Slender Salamander (Batrachoseps nigriventris) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageBlack Bellied Slender Salamander (Batrachoseps nigriventris) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

At a pond we found a couple species of common anurans.

ImageBaja California Treefrog (Pseudacris hypocondriaca) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageBaja California Treefrog (Pseudacris hypocondriaca) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageCalifornia Toads (Anaxyrus boreas halophilus) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

We headed up into the eastern San Gabriels in San Bernardino County to look for San Gabriel Mountain Slender Salamanders. We did quite well finding nine in total.

ImageSan Gabriel Slender Salamander (Batrachoseps gabrieli) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageSan Gabriel Slender Salamander (Batrachoseps gabrieli) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

On a quick hike with some friends after school, I unexpectedly flipped this very cold Whiptail. Unfortunately I only had my little camera so my photography was limited. It actually started hailing a couple minutes later.

ImageCoastal Whiptail (Aspidoscelis tigris stejnegri) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

Once it got a bit warmer, I headed out to Riverside County with Jeremy Wright to look for boas and what not. Struck out on all snakes, but did find a couple of the less commonly seen lizards that inhabit the area.

ImageGranite Night Lizard (Xantusia henshawii) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageGranite Night Lizard (Xantusia henshawii) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageSan Diego Banded Gecko (Coleonyx variegatus abbotti) and Granite Night Lizard (Xantusia henshawii) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageSan Diego Banded Gecko (Coleonyx variegatus abbotti) and Granite Night Lizard (Xantusia henshawii) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageSan Diego Banded Gecko (Coleonyx variegatus abbotti) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageSan Diego Banded Gecko (Coleonyx variegatus abbotti) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

With all this rain we've been getting, salamandering is way easier than in past years and with some advice from Jeremy, I was able to flip four Ensatinas.

ImageMonterey Ensatina (Ensatina eschcholtzii eschcholtzii) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageMonterey Ensatina (Ensatina eschcholtzii eschcholtzii) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

They have crazy little bellies.

I also found a couple arboreals in some cracks, but didn't get any good shots.

That's about it with herps. Here are some cool non herps:
Does anyone know what this is?
ImageThing by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageAmerican Kestrel (Falco sparverius) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

ImageWhite Spotted Sea Goddess (Doriopsilla albopunctata) by NicholasHess, on Flickr

That's a wrap, I hope you enjoyed this late post. Stay tuned as so far February has been pretty kind to me.

Nicholas
Chad M. Lane

Re: A very late January in Review post

Post by Chad M. Lane »

Good work! Love the Ensatinas!

Cheers,
Chad
Jeremy Wright

Post by Jeremy Wright »

Beautiful shots Nicholas! Looking forward to getting out more this spring and finding some awesome herps!
-Jeremy
yoloherper

Post by yoloherper »

Great shots Nicholas!
Your "thing" is a jelly fungus commonly called witch's butter. Edible, but apparently not great.
-Elliot
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks Chad and Jeremy, I appreciate your comments :) . Elliot, thanks a lot for the info, I had a feeling someone on here could tell me what it is.
Nicholas
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Awesome macro work Nicholas. I wish I had even half your talent!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Good stuff!
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

That shot with the transparent Ensatina is really cool.

Well done!
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

By the looks of that last one, you're a SCUBA diver, no?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That nudibranch was actually taken in a tidepool. However I do freedive.
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

Very cool. I know a few avid underwater photographers that would be very jealous to know you got that shot dry. Soooo much less work. Many of your shots are really great. How are you on reproduction? Do you sell copies? I think there are a couple I might want to print and frame for my office...especially the banded geckos. What are your terms?
Porter

Post by Porter »

ImageField Herping Medallion of Artistic Quality by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

The vibe and tone of this medallion in unmistakably captured in this rendition of the original Zelda theme performed by one of my favorite guitarist. You should hear this music in your head and feel this vibe anytime anyone receives this California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation medallion of appreciation. Herp on brothers and sisters :thumb: