Westlake, Agoura, Malibu area:

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Pets101

Westlake, Agoura, Malibu area:

Post by Pets101 » April 5th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start by thanking everyone for there awesome posts over the years. It is sad to say but I have not had the time to get out and look for snakes for quite awhile.

Recently, I have been trying to spend more time herping. Due to some injuries, I am not able to hike like I use to. I have found some good roads in the canyons of Ventura and Los Angeles to road cruise. I keep finding DOR animals but none that are still alive. I was wondering when is the best time to road cruise in this area during this time of the year. Daytime temps of around 80 degrees and night time around 50-60 degrees. With all the rain we have had, I think this could be a very good year to see some animals.

Is it too cold at night for them to be active right now?

Jeremy Wright

Re: Westlake, Agoura, Malibu area:

Post by Jeremy Wright » April 5th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I would say still too cool for most nocturnal activity. Ideally you want to be looking at above 65-70 degrees at night when you are looking.
Just today I saw a couple live snakes and a dor on a short 4 mile stretch of road in the San Gabriels. It was about 5:30 - 6:00 and the sun was partially on the road breaking through the oak tree canopy.
-Jeremy

Pets101

Re: Westlake, Agoura, Malibu area:

Post by Pets101 » April 5th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I was out around the same time today and found one dor gopher and a freshly killed alligator lizard.