New to Oregon

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

shredsteban

New to Oregon

Post by shredsteban »

Good afternoon everyone. I've relocated to Oregon permanently with my wife and kids. We've been living overseas in Indonesia for the past year and we are originally from California. I've done a lot of herping in California and would love to continue up here. I already have places in mind that I want to check out in the NW but I am mainly looking for other people to connect with. I herp alone fairly often but it's not my thing. I enjoy hanging out with people who get as excited about it as I do.

A little about me: My name is Nick and I am 27. My wife and I have 2 boys, ages 4 and 2. We are currently expecting a little girl this November which we are very excited about. My parents have lived in the Portland area for 10+ years and we are relocating to be close to them so they can be around our kids and help out with child care in the future if need be. I love field herping and photography. The photography aspect of field herping has become the main focus for me and I just enjoy being in beautiful areas with good friends. I've attached some photos of recent finds from California from the last month we spent down there.

Feel free to add me on Instagram
@nikibarrientos
@californiaherps - I started this page 4 or 5 years ago and recently asked a few of my friends to help take over the load after I moved to Indonesia. Great page if you want to see herp diversity in California.

ImageGJ7B8960-1 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B8458 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B9042-1 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B8283 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B8637 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B8542 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B7902-8 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B7843-5 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr

ImageGJ7B0517-1 by Nick Barrientos, on Flickr
Paul Freed

Re: New to Oregon

Post by Paul Freed »

Welcome to Oregon, Nick! Your photos are outstanding, thanks for sharing. I reside some 50 miles south of the Portland area and am also an avid herper/photographer. There are a fair number of like-minded folks in this region so I'm sure you'll get some nice responses to your request. Unfortunately, most of my herping is not local but more international in scope, so I'm not very familiar with the better places to search. What exactly are you looking to find in this area? Based on the photos you posted you appear to favor snakes. I look forward to seeing more of your photos and hope you get settled into the area without any problems. Again, welcome to paradise.
-Paul
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Paul Freed wrote:Welcome to Oregon, Nick! Your photos are outstanding, thanks for sharing. I reside some 50 miles south of the Portland area and am also an avid herper/photographer. There are a fair number of like-minded folks in this region so I'm sure you'll get some nice responses to your request. Unfortunately, most of my herping is not local but more international in scope, so I'm not very familiar with the better places to search. What exactly are you looking to find in this area? Based on the photos you posted you appear to favor snakes. I look forward to seeing more of your photos and hope you get settled into the area without any problems. Again, welcome to paradise.
-Paul
Paul, thanks for the response and the kind words. I'm mainly into snakes but I enjoy seeing everything. Lately I've been taking my 3 year old son out and have just been finding garters locally. I'll have some more time to herp after my wife and youngest boy fly up this week and we're moved in.
technoendo

Post by technoendo »

Welcome to the northwest!

The NW chapter here is sleepier than it was 5-10 years ago but still a great resource and there still are some active posters and many lurkers. Expect many will see your post over time but we'll see who responds -- we're not dead!

I'm in the Seattle area, do a lot of herping trips all over the NW, but mostly like the dryer parts of the columbia river basin (central WA/OR). Hope to see you in the field sometime.
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Nick,
There are only 16 species of snakes in Oregon with the possibility of one more yet to be documented. Where I live in Corvallis, locally there are only species. Should you get down this way sometime, I am retired so free get out at just about any short time notice.

Richard F. Hoyer I can be contacted at [email protected]
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I don't live in Oregon anymore, but used to and know the little corner in the extreme Northwest (Columbia and Multnomah Counties, and to a much lesser degree Hood River, Washington, Linn, Clatsop, Tillamook, and Yamhill Counties) fairly well.

I've also done a bit of herping in other counties south, but virtually none east of the Cascades.

Would be happy to give advice, and herp together in the rare times I return.