Southern California Trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

blacktara

Southern California Trip

Post by blacktara »

Took a trip to California May 18 to May 27. Thanks to my buddies Michael G and Ed C for a great time. Here are some pics

My primary target for this trip was to get my lifer Southern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus Oreganus Helleri - We flipped four in one morning. Here are pics of three. These are from San Diego County

My buddy Ed had as his primary target the Northern Pacific Rattler - Crotalus oreganus oreganus Well, Kern County was slitherin with em

Colorado desert sidewinder - Croatlus cerastes laterorepens - San Diego County - Two pics of the same snake

Speckled rattlesnake - Crotalus Pyrrhus - San Bernardino County - preety pink phase

Red Diamond Rattlesnake - Crotalus ruber - When Ed left us to head for the airport early Friday afternoon, he turned to me and said something like 'Now go get a ruber and your trip will be complete' - Well, later that same day, we did just that - Riverside County

Mohave rattlersnake - Crotalus scutulatus scutulatus - An old snake that looks like it had just taken a real big meal\

King snakes - First off, my second favorite snake from the trip after my lifer helleri. This is a gorgeous striped phase Cali king - Lapropeltis getula from San Diego County

And a couple of regular kings from Kern County

Three-lined boas. We split up into two cars on Tuesday night. Ed and I found this small three lined boa - Lichanura trivirgata roseofusca

Michael, not to be outdone, got one of his own (much larger than ours)

Gopher snakes - Here's a VERY feisty juvenile Great Basin gopher snake from San Beranrdino County - Pituophis catenifer deserticola

And one of several pacific gophers from Kern County - Pituophis catenifer catenifer

Colorado shovel-nosed snake - San Diego County

Mohave shovel-nosed snake

California night snake - This subspecies was a lifer for me - Kern County

Here's a couple of gloss snakes - The first is a desert glossy from San Bernardino County - Arizona elegans eburnata The second is either a desert or a desert/California (occidentalis) intergrade

And the most common snake for the whole trip was -- The leafnosed snake - Phyllorhynchus decurtatus
metalpest

Re: Southern California Trip

Post by metalpest »

Very nice finds!
mattg

Post by mattg »

nice finds ! what would make your trip complete is if you entered all of your finds in the naherp.com database. :beer: :thumb:
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Very cool animals!