Italian Wall Lizard Populations

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Carl98

Italian Wall Lizard Populations

Post by Carl98 »

Hello,
I mostly herp in the NY/NJ area tracking down Wall Lizard populations. I have managed to find them in 4 of the 5 boroughs as well as NY state & NJ. I have absolutely fallen in love with these little guys in the past year or so since I first saw them in Westbury, NY. I am mainly trying to track down the population in Manhattan to concur all 5 boroughs and more populations in Brooklyn cause ... BROOKLYN!!!! Would anyone happen to know where the Manhattan population is or any others in the NY Metro area? Below is a list of all the population I know of, any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

New Jersey
-Mnt Laurel Municipal Area & Adjacent Neighborhood Verified

Pennsylvania
-Bucks County, not sure where though.

New York State
-Hasting-On-Hudson Verified
-Much of Central Nassau County (Garden City, Hempstead, Westbury) Verified

The Bronx
-New York Botanical Gardens Verified
-Pelham Bay Park (Searched but couldn't find any, info on where in park would be greatly appreciated)

Queens
-Queens College Verified
-Queens Botanical Gardens Verified
-Mnt Zion Cemetery Verified
-Much of the Queens Cemetery Belt

Brooklyn
-Washing Cemetery Verified
-Freinds Field Verified
-Cypress Hills Cemetery
-Highland Park Verified

-Brooklyn College????

Staten Island
-Historic Richmondtown Verified
-United Hebrew Cemetery Verified
-New Dorp???

Connecticut
-Cos Cobs Train Station & RR Right-of-Way south to the bridge Verified
-Neighborhood east of tracks/ south of railway station Verified

Massachusetts
-Fenway Victory Gardens Boston
chris_mcmartin

Re: Italian Wall Lizard Populations

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Sounds like a fun project. Have you done a literature search, and also checked out VertNet for records?
Carl98

Post by Carl98 »

I've done literature research, a few articles I'm still digging for. Havnt checked out Vert Net, haft to do that, I also use iNaturalist & Eddsmaps a lot too. Had a few conversations with Dr. Bruke at Hofstra too. Was pretty proud I found the population in Joplin, MO a few months ago when I was out there
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Carl98 wrote:I've done literature research, a few articles I'm still digging for. Havnt checked out Vert Net, haft to do that, I also use iNaturalist & Eddsmaps a lot too. Had a few conversations with Dr. Bruke at Hofstra too. Was pretty proud I found the population in Joplin, MO a few months ago when I was out there
How long has that population been there? I wasn't aware of it (not that I follow wall lizards too closely, but I did enjoy finding them in Topeka, KS).
Carl98

Post by Carl98 »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
Carl98 wrote:I've done literature research, a few articles I'm still digging for. Havnt checked out Vert Net, haft to do that, I also use iNaturalist & Eddsmaps a lot too. Had a few conversations with Dr. Bruke at Hofstra too. Was pretty proud I found the population in Joplin, MO a few months ago when I was out there
How long has that population been there? I wasn't aware of it (not that I follow wall lizards too closely, but I did enjoy finding them in Topeka, KS).
Only a couple years. A guy from Joplin caught a few in Topeka and either deliberetly or accidently released them. Here's an article about them
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 4MzSYXPd4w
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

I'm expecting a paper or a thesis of your work. QI.
mattg

Post by mattg »

there is a verified population in san pedro california as well
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

In the late sixties, though none could probably prove it, or admit it, many folks interested in herps attributed the Lawrence, KS, 1962 population to a release by a herpetology student at the University of Kansas. This was often accompanied by a wink and a nod! :lol:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

BillMcGighan wrote:In the late sixties, though none could probably prove it, or admit it, many folks interested in herps attributed the Lawrence, KS, 1962 population to a release by a herpetology student at the University of Kansas. This was often accompanied by a wink and a node! :lol:
Hard to say definitively. Haven't heard of any in Lawrence. The Topeka population centers around the former location of a pet store. Anecdotally, they don't spread any further because the native Great Plains Skinks (found on the outskirts of town) are said to eat them.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

The Kansas Herp Atlas ( http://webapps.fhsu.edu/ksfauna/herps/i ... ra=&map=ks ) shows them appearing in 1999, but I talked to folks in 1969 that had caught some near the university, and they said it was a 1962 population.

Your right about Topeka, Chris, or close enough:

In Topeka one of the most compelling stories is told by Larry Miller, a retired science teacher. He claims "the animals have been traced to a biological supply house known as Quivira Specialities, near S.W. 21st and Gage. Operated by a respected scientist, the business wasn’t a pet store. Rather, it supplied a variety of animals — including snakes, birds, lizards, turtles — to such places as public schools and universities."

There seems to be several stories of how they got out, but nothing substantiated!

I can totally believe the story that Great Plains Skinks limits them, after watching one in Oklahoma pin, crush, and eat a Sceloporous!!!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

CNAH has what is probably a more credible history where it was the Topeka population that was recorded in 1962!

http://www.cnah.org/khs/khs_pubs/JKH_34.pdf
kevin h

Post by kevin h »

I know of a verified population on the KY side of the Ohio River across from Cincinnati. I'm pretty sure John MacGregor, the state herpetologist who works for fish and game has been surveying it for several years. It's even on the Lizards of Kentucky poster :lol: :lol: .
Carl98

Post by Carl98 »

kevin h wrote:I know of a verified population on the KY side of the Ohio River across from Cincinnati. I'm pretty sure John MacGregor, the state herpetologist who works for fish and game has been surveying it for several years. It's even on the Lizards of Kentucky poster :lol: :lol: .
Those are a sister species known as the European Wall Lizard (Podarcis muralis). Going out to Chicago in July, going to,amake a pit-stop out on my way in Cinncinati to check them out.
csalemi731

Post by csalemi731 »

I frequent Pelham Bay Park and have seen them basking on the track when no one is out for a jog. A friend and former colleague Robert Mendyk is done some work regarding them in the NY area. his publication will pop up if you do a search for his name
Carl98

Post by Carl98 »

csalemi731 wrote:I frequent Pelham Bay Park and have seen them basking on the track when no one is out for a jog. A friend and former colleague Robert Mendyk is done some work regarding them in the NY area. his publication will pop up if you do a search for his name
Are you talking the track that the American Boy statue overlooks? I've only been there looking on memorial day, couldn't find any but it was packed.
csalemi731

Post by csalemi731 »

Yes, that track.
Carl98

Post by Carl98 »

So, I took advantage of this past weekend with days reaching the 80s to see if the wall lizards were out. I visited Queens College & the Mnt Laurel population. In Queens, only a handful of individuals were present, about 10. 9 of them where adult dominant males. In mount laurel there were a decent amount out, females, juveniles & males were all out but the majority of them were males.