Eastern box turtle nesting in cemetery

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach Cava

Eastern box turtle nesting in cemetery

Post by Zach Cava »

I was excited to find this box turtle nesting in a suburban neighborhood where I've never seen T. carolina before. In such developed landscapes, cemeteries may act as refugia for box turtles and other wildlife by providing relatively large areas of open green space (assuming there is suitable habitat).

Eastern Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) by Zachary Cava, on Flickr

http://www.zacharycava.net
chris_mcmartin

Re: Eastern box turtle nesting in cemetery

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Cool and interesting...Cemeteries as greenspace; that's thinking outside the box (coffin)!
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

chris_mcmartin wrote:Cool and interesting...Cemeteries as greenspace; that's thinking outside the box (coffin)!
and the older ones tend to be connected to railroads, which often have thick vegetative buffer, so there's potential dispersal routes
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

That's deep. Truly a metaphor for "the circle of life."

FH
reptologist

Post by reptologist »

That's a cool find. I also had a cemetery herping experience recently. While attending a friend's father's burial in Camden NJ I was completely shocked to hear a few northern grey tree frogs calling. His dad was ex-military and got a military burial complete with "Taps" performed with a bugle. They only called during the rendition and never made a sound for the rest of the ceremony. For those of you who are not familiar with Camden, it is probably the last place I would expect to hear tree frogs.
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

reptologist wrote:That's a cool find. I also had a cemetery herping experience recently. While attending a friend's father's burial in Camden NJ I was completely shocked to hear a few northern grey tree frogs calling. His dad was ex-military and got a military burial complete with "Taps" performed with a bugle. They only called during the rendition and never made a sound for the rest of the ceremony. For those of you who are not familiar with Camden, it is probably the last place I would expect to hear tree frogs.
very cool, sorry about your friend's dad.
reptologist

Post by reptologist »

Zach Cava wrote:
reptologist wrote:That's a cool find. I also had a cemetery herping experience recently. While attending a friend's father's burial in Camden NJ I was completely shocked to hear a few northern grey tree frogs calling. His dad was ex-military and got a military burial complete with "Taps" performed with a bugle. They only called during the rendition and never made a sound for the rest of the ceremony. For those of you who are not familiar with Camden, it is probably the last place I would expect to hear tree frogs.
very cool, sorry about your friend's dad.
Thank you.