Hello all, new here introducing myself

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

marmota_monax

Hello all, new here introducing myself

Post by marmota_monax »

I finally signed up for the forum, I am a wildlife biologist living in KY. I love all things outdoors Herps especially. I currently work with birds but I get out and flip cover/road cruise whenever I get the chance. I'm looking forward to getting involved with an actual community that shares my interests.

Obligatory herp related media

kevin h

Re: Hello all, new here introducing myself

Post by kevin h »

As another KY native let me welcome you to the forum! I look forward to seeing more great finds from this underrated state. As for the turtles it's truly tragic the amount of ignorance that one would need to posses to do such a thing. Have you ever thought of setting up decoy turtles with nails in them? :lol: Just a thought.
marmota_monax

Post by marmota_monax »

I have actually thought about exactly that. However, I would never actually do such a thing. I do wonder if an organized misinformation campaign informing people to watch out for decoy turtles with nails in them would work. My biggest concern would be people would actually do it. People are awful in general and I'm not sure if anything would actually stop this.
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

marmota_monax wrote:People are awful in general
Hear, hear! I completely agree, which is really sad. But this seems to be a running theme among any people who care about nature...
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Have you ever thought of setting up decoy turtles with nails in them?
I know this was in jest, but be advised, such an act that caused an accident would make you liable, and rightly so.

There are those that intensionally hit reptiles but most DORs are caused by everyday people who are, more often as not, oblivious to small roadway hazards.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Have you ever thought of setting up decoy turtles with nails in them?
And WHO's Idea was that? Hmmmm...

I doubt you would be liable for anything that happens to the idiot that runs over the turtle, especially if you place it on the shoulder of the road...and aren't there when it happens... 8-) The idea is to only get the people who swerve to hit the turtle...Some people worry too much, methinks...
Porter

Post by Porter »

I don't think this was the video I was thinking of... it was years ago when I first saw it and I thought there was more footage to this and for some reason thought Joe Farrah made it or maybe just posted it. That most likely was when Hubbs suggested the spike back turtle :lol: ...anyways here it is.

I'm gonna go ahead and be the angel on the shoulder here and suggest: Only put a spiked rubber turtle on THE SHOULDER (marked with a white line) and in a place that if a blowout occurs, the driver has a nice open area to bail out into. Preferably no two lane traffic and keep in mind...the sick twisted "insert profanity here" you're giving a flat tire may result in colliding with a woman and baby behind him. As much as taking vengeance on the thriving evil in the dark souls of bitter stupidity would seem an overwhelming self accomplishment of rebalancing the force... two wrongs don't make a right :thumb: That same guy will get attacked by a bear and lose his eye 5 years from now. Karma's a bitch :beer:

Ok, now go make that turtle trap and don't forget to film it for all of us! :thumb: :thumb: :lol: :lol:
Jk :) ;)

Porter

Post by Porter »

Ok, I'm back lol I actually just thought of something that may be a great alternative to popped tires and dead women & children! A stink bomb 8-) If you had a turtle that was filled with an awful smelling concoction that was explodable upon impact... that would not only keep the driver safe, but would also keep drivers safe around them! No one wants to hit a skunk, right? If the turtle was filled with skunk juice or something equally or worse smelling. Something that isn't easily washed off. Like how you need a tomato soup bath after getting sprayed by a skunk. That would leave a long term reminder to the guy who hit it (and a pain n the ass to wash it off). So...awful smell + physical labor (cleaning) = justice served, restoration of balance.

Not only that, if it were hit by accident... that would just send out a message to the unaware driver to PAY MORE ATTENTION to avoid running over things in the road. Whether or not they even recognize it as a turtle the next time around, they will know it's something, remember the stinky incident that happened on the same stretch of road four months ago, and move 2 feet to the left to avoid having to wash their car off again :thumb:

Like a turtle with a water balloon shell, maybe...? 8-)
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I love the stink bomb idea! If that is not feasible, maybe some kind of fake turtle decoy filled with the kind of paint banks use in their money bags?
Porter

Post by Porter »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:I love the stink bomb idea! If that is not feasible, maybe some kind of fake turtle decoy filled with the kind of paint banks use in their money bags?
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I can't help but think of this scene from Rasing Arizona :lol: Imagine that all over the bottom of you car, turtle killers!! :lol: :thumb:

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

So funny...Raising Arizona is what gave me the idea.
marmota_monax

Post by marmota_monax »

maybe two months ago I was on the interstate I watched a truck in front of me swerve into the emergency lane to hit a Painted Turtle. He caught it just right and the turtle shot about 6 feet into the air across into traffic. Luckily no one was beside him. It could have ended very badly. It was a work truck with a company number on the side, I called them and gave them the truck number and told them the driver was driving erratically swerving all over the road. The company was a tree service and I got the impression that the guy who answered wouldn't have cared if he knew it was to hit a turtle so I left that part out.