Madagascar Part 3: Isalo National Park-lizards & snake only

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mothman

Madagascar Part 3: Isalo National Park-lizards & snake only

Post by mothman »

This post was a mistake. I accidentally duplicated the reptile portion of my previous post entitled "Madagascar Part 3: Isalo National Park-herps only " while editing. Oh crap! I cannot delete this post so if you want to see everything herpy (e.g. lizards, snakes and the neat frogs) go to post "Madagascar Part 3: Isalo National Park-herps only ". There is nothing new here. Are you confused?????

Isalo National Park contains a range of mountains that are surrounded by savanna. The scenery is spectacular.

ImageIsalo National Park by mitchberk, on Flickr

There are a number of canyons with creeks although the surrounding grassy savanna is much drier. The water flow from the creeks provides water for the adjacent rice fields.

Okay, I promised you boas so I won't put them off to the end of the narrative like I did with the other snakes in Parts 1 and 2. What do you expect from a lizard guy?
Our national park guide went off on his own into the forest looking for good herps for me to shoot while I looked for "stuff" along a creek. He didn't disappoint as he soon found an impressive Madagascar Tree Boa, Sanzinia madagascariensis volontany.

ImageSanzinia madagascariensis volontany by mitchberk, on Flickr

ImageSanzinia madagascariensis volontany by mitchberk, on Flickr

But wait, there's more! If the fantastic Tree Boa wasn't good enough we also came across a ground boa, Acrantophis dumerili, in the road as we were leaving the park at nightfall.

ImageAcrantophis dumerili by mitchberk, on Flickr

ImageAcrantophis dumerili by mitchberk, on Flickr

Now that I got the big snakes out of the way here is a look at the smaller but equally impressive snakes seen in Isalo. Madagascarophis colubrinus was well-behaved for the photo session and didn't attempt to turn tail and run.

ImageMadagascarophis colubrinus by mitchberk, on Flickr

I only photographed on other species of snake, the obligatory Mimophis mahfalensis.

ImageMimophis mahfalensis by mitchberk, on Flickr

As to chameleons, Furcifer oustaleti were found on trees at the interface between the mountains and the savanna as we walked back to our car.

ImageFurcifer oustaleti by mitchberk, on Flickr

Male Furcifer lateralis are green with a whitish lateral stripe. The casque is much smaller than F. oustaleti.

ImageFurcifer lateralis by mitchberk, on Flickr

Female Furcifer lateralis are brightly colored with prominent dark circles on its flanks and a white lateral stripe.
ImageFurcifer lateralis, female by mitchberk, on Flickr

Always pay to attention to the entire scene while you are busy photographing your subject including the background. Otherwise you might get some unwanted features in your picture as in my wife's legs in the shot below.
ImageFurcifer lateralis, female by mitchberk, on Flickr