photobucket no longer allows 3rd party pic hosting for free

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jeremy Westerman

photobucket no longer allows 3rd party pic hosting for free

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

at least three websites that I frequent that do not allow photo hosting (including this one) so I just lost hundreds of my photos because photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting for other sites for free. I am not paying for anything and why should I? I have been using their free account for several years without ever feeling the need to upgrade to a paid account. I am not a professional photographer. Their advertizers that bombarded my photobucket especially during uploads are paying for my usage in my mind.
I am going to download all of my pics from photobucket, archive them on disc and then be done with photobucket. Many of my friends are on flicker, I will look into that. I have heard it is easy and still free. that said, websites that don't allow photos on their servers (like this one) just took a huge hit, with much of their past content obliterated by photobucket's extortion scheme. Some sites have become unusable photo removed error wastelands due to lost visual content because they were mainly discussion specifically about the photos themselves. Viewership is waaaay down, which is bad news for those sites especially in today's age of handheld electronic doodads ruling the world; forum usuage is dropping in favor of quicker more current media that is portable friendly like twitter, instagram and facebook. I predict it will spell doom for many forum style websites.

Sucks though I don't even know what I've lost without a "my thread posts" search that could take days on several sites. The "photobucket removed image" will be on countless websites on countless posts forever now, a tombstone and monument to their blunder. It will likely destroy their P.R. and they will get ghosted and be a thing of the past in favor of some more user friendly website like facebook did to myspace.

What will the impact be here on FHF? I feel that not hosting pictures here in the first place already was bleeding users to Facebook herping groups or instagram daily, now that nostalgic pictures on some old epic threads have been removed, as well as the loss of the regional forums really will cause many people to look for their reptile "fix" elsewhere other than FHF where it is more convenient with less hassle to see or post reptile pictures. People are predictible.
nightdriver

Re: photobucket no longer allows 3rd party pic hosting for f

Post by nightdriver »

Yep. Every picture I had posted is gone :x

-nightdriver
Porter

Post by Porter »

If you are able to download them, let me know how you did it! Their only about 10 or 20 photos I wanted to save and when I tries to download the file it olny let me download a versiin of the file that can't be opened on my laptop :oops: ...bastards!! We own the copyrights... I don't see how they can even do this.... Large print giveth and the small print taketh away
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Jeremy Westerman wrote:at least three websites that I frequent that do not allow photo hosting (including this one) so I just lost hundreds of my photos because photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting for other sites for free. I am not paying for anything and why should I? I have been using their free account for several years without ever feeling the need to upgrade to a paid account. I am not a professional photographer. Their advertizers that bombarded my photobucket especially during uploads are paying for my usage in my mind.
I am going to download all of my pics from photobucket, archive them on disc and then be done with photobucket. Many of my friends are on flicker, I will look into that. I have heard it is easy and still free. that said, websites that don't allow photos on their servers (like this one) just took a huge hit, with much of their past content obliterated by photobucket's extortion scheme. Some sites have become unusable photo removed error wastelands due to lost visual content because they were mainly discussion specifically about the photos themselves. Viewership is waaaay down, which is bad news for those sites especially in today's age of handheld electronic doodads ruling the world; forum usuage is dropping in favor of quicker more current media that is portable friendly like twitter, instagram and facebook. I predict it will spell doom for many forum style websites.

Sucks though I don't even know what I've lost without a "my thread posts" search that could take days on several sites. The "photobucket removed image" will be on countless websites on countless posts forever now, a tombstone and monument to their blunder. It will likely destroy their P.R. and they will get ghosted and be a thing of the past in favor of some more user friendly website like facebook did to myspace.

What will the impact be here on FHF? I feel that not hosting pictures here in the first place already was bleeding users to Facebook herping groups or instagram daily, now that nostalgic pictures on some old epic threads have been removed, as well as the loss of the regional forums really will cause many people to look for their reptile "fix" elsewhere other than FHF where it is more convenient with less hassle to see or post reptile pictures. People are predictible.
I left photo bucket years ago because of wording in their user agreement that essentially has you give up rights to pictures you host there. It seems to me that photo bucket has become pretty irrelevant as a photo hosting site, (and flickr may not be far behind). It would be awesome if FHF offered photo hosting. I don't know how many people it would bring back from Facebook, Instagram, etc. though. I think the movement away from FHF to those platforms is merely a reflection of what's valued today. FHF offers a much higher quality experience, but the emphasis today is on immediacy, not quality. Its part of the same mentality that has camera companies, like Nikon, in financial uncertainty while every one clicks away with their cell phones. People today are satisfied with "good enough", so long as its immediate. Maybe if FHF had photo hosting it would bring some of that immediacy back, and bring in more users. It is sad to see the loss of users and on this forum though. Facebook quality doesn't even come close to what this forum offered!
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I have loved flickr for years, but for awhile now it is impossible to edit photos...something about the site is "under construction." Is anyone else experiencing this, or is this just me being a tech idiot (entirely possible). I liked filckr editing with aviary because it was easy. My photos are VERY amateurish, but I did not mind paying the 7 dollar or so fee for 3 months of getting to use aviary. Any insight much appreciated.
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Hmm. I'll look into a solution.

This is now becoming common, as companies want to monetize as much as they can. Eliminating coding to sites like this is one way to do it.....as it forces the user to ONLY view their hosting service. They want you to ONLY view their platform.

I'll ask about getting hosting here, as there is an option for direct upload. I did it briefly, some years ago. Anyway, I'll look into it.

Thanks,
Scott
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

So happy to hear this! Thank you, Scott!
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

This is being addressed. No more worries about outside photo hosting to post on FHF. :) Announcement coming shorty.

Thanks,
Scott
gcsnelling

Post by gcsnelling »

That is very good news.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Excellent :thumb: :thumb:
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Good to hear. I switched from Photobucket to Flickr about a year ago and I have enjoyed it very much. I would hate to have to pay though.
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Uploading is now available. I'll make a bigger announcement later.

SPECS:
File types: jpg or png
File size: 3MB max.
Width: 800px max.

Process:
Size your image to 800px wide, keeping all the images in a fluid width for viewing. Handle all of your editing needed prior to uploading to FHF. Upload all of the images for your post and then use the "Place inline" option to position each image around the text. Or, add comments to each image and tell your story in that style. Have fun.

We host images for field herp forum posts, so please ONLY images from the topic being discussed. Images can be removed at our discretion. Please use only for field herping imagery and related content.

Thanks,
Scott
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

I just tried posting a photo directly to this thread, but it wouldn't work because my cropped and edited iPhone image is still way too large.

It would be best if this website could handle your standard iPhone pics easily.