Herp Nation Magazine question and some recent shots

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Herp Nation Magazine question and some recent shots

Post by Zach_Lim »

Hey everyone,

Been out of the loop/FHF for a while. Just taken to Instagram in regards to posting photos and NAHERP for records. Was wondering if Herp Nation magazine was still being published? Haven't received any issues for a long, long time/I think I paid for some awhile ago and nothing came of it?

Hope its not over! Loved it!

Here are some recent shots:

Richard F. Hoyer

Re: Herp Nation Magazine question and some recent shots

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Zach,
I knew you had a gift for placing artificial cover objects to find herps. But tell me, how close to the water's edge did you place the cover object in order to attract the fish (flounder?) ? Hah

Richard F. Hoyer
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Richard F. Hoyer wrote:Zach,
I knew you had a gift for placing artificial cover objects to find herps. But tell me, how close to the water's edge did you place the cover object in order to attract the fish (flounder?) ? Hah
When I first scrolled through the photos, I thought, "What happened to that poor leopard frog--that's some genetic defect!"
Paul Freed

Post by Paul Freed »

Zach,

Apparently, Herp Nation Magazine is no longer being printed but rather it is now a free online magazine. This started within the past year. Like you, I enjoyed it greatly.

-Paul
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Richard F. Hoyer

:lol: :beer:

And Zach, what the hell is that garter?! That's one of the most stunning Thamnophis I've seen!
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Richard F. Hoyer
Hey Richard! Hope all is well. And believe me, it was hard laying out AC for that CA halibut haha! Just some shrimp on a line does the trick!
chris_mcmartin wrote:
When I first scrolled through the photos, I thought, "What happened to that poor leopard frog--that's some genetic defect!"
Ha! It does look frog like!
Paul Freed wrote:Zach,

Apparently, Herp Nation Magazine is no longer being printed but rather it is now a free online magazine. This started within the past year. Like you, I enjoyed it greatly.

-Paul
Thank you for the info, Paul. I too greatly appreciated the hard copy version of the magazine. It was the perfect literature made for people like us!
John Martin wrote:

Richard F. Hoyer

:lol: :beer:

And Zach, what the hell is that garter?! That's one of the most stunning Thamnophis I've seen!
Hey John,

This is a Santa Cruz Garter Snake (Thamnophis atratus atratus) from about ten minutes south of San Francisco along a ridge line. Apparently the SCGS there can be "melanistic" looking for deep orange dorsal stripes!