arizona weather

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

radiata

arizona weather

Post by radiata »

Anyone have any ideas on best time to herp Arizona? I was there years ago in Sept. but the weather was affected by storm off Baja (at least that's what they said).
Al
Bryan Hamilton

Re: arizona weather

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Most people would say to herp during the monsoon, which typically peaks in August into September.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

This September was super dry around Tucson. It poured in July and the first part of August, then kind of quit. This September might have sucked. Usually, I like it just fine. Still lush and warm enough, but less likely to get rained out. Also, all the dumb babies are out. Ha ha. Well, the ones that are still alive...

The bigger issue is, what are you after and where are you headed? Speaking very generally, if you wanted to hunt the strip I'd say mid April to early June depending on elevation. The river valley and low points east, late March to maybe mid May. CO Plateau maybe mid May to mid June and then again maybe mid August to early September. The rim and the SE, yeah, monsoon season. But spring would be better there too, for some things...just do it before it gets hot and dry.

I was recently talking with some east-coasters who went for their first time in early September this year. Said it was tough. Also said they didn't really have it wired though, so...go figure. I'm sure some people just killed it.

cheers
radiata

Post by radiata »

Thanks to both of you. Looks like we have some time to plan for 2018.
Al
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

What ever you do, post some pics. If you are looking for something specific (most people are) it doesn't hurt to ask.