Madagascar

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

John Martin

Madagascar

Post by John Martin »

Hi all, looking for info regarding Madagascar. I did do a search and see that a number of you have had experiences there. Rather than go through all of the posts I thought I'd be lazy and just ask a few questions. My wife and a friend from the U.S. want to meet up and go somewhere "exotic" and Madagascar is an obvious choice. We're all interested in all forms of wildlife/plants/birds/invertebrates, etc. Of course herps would be my main target :-). Just wondering: 1) best time of year (for herps mainly), 2) specific places/parks, 3) is there a "best" airport to fly into, 4) is a guide mandatory or can we just rent a car and go exploring, etc.?

Thanks very much for any and all help that you might provide.

Cheers,
John
Kelly Mc

Re: Madagascar

Post by Kelly Mc »

I will be looking forward to your post John when you get back. I like your take on things.

Madagascar is on the top of the bucket list for me and my significant other as well.
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I overheard someone say there is possibly a disease going around effecting humans there? Maybe it's passed on now?
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Ok stlouisdude, quit trying to cheer me up! LOL, just kidding. I DID however do a search regarding your info and it IS interesting:

http://www.who.int/csr/don/02-october-2 ... gascar/en/

Sounds like some normal infectious diseases going on, although they seem to be spreading and becoming more of a problem. Hmmm, this is definitely food for thought and we might have to rethink this trip and consider other options. Thanks for that info. Hopefully I'm not being overly paranoid about this. Any more thoughts from you peeps is certainly welcome.
mothman

Post by mothman »

John,

Check out my posts (Mothman) from my trip to Madagascar in May of this year. We went to Anjozorobe forest, Andasibe NP, Hotel Palmarium on the east coast, Ranomafana NP, Anjay Community Park, Isalo NP, Reniala NP on the west coast near Ifaty. We went with an outfit called Tropical Herping. Local guides are really helpful. If you go on your own a 4WD vehicle would be a necessity to visit the Anjozorobe Forest and to get to the boat landing for Hotel Palmarium on the east coast. Check out the Bradt guidebooks on Madagascar and Madagascar Wildlife. The capital, Antananarivo, is the place to fly into from outside Madagascar.

Mitch
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Hi Mitch, and thank you for your response. This article was in the local (Adelaide, South Oz) newspaper last weekend. What do you think? Sorry about the upside down stuff when a pic is double clicked, still learning how to attach pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.