What happened to the forum..I hear Crickets and smell death

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DOR

What happened to the forum..I hear Crickets and smell death

Post by DOR »

How to revive the FHF??

The DFG started monitoring the forum and hassling those posting images. Later the deletion of the CALIFORNIA forum by Scott sealed its dreadful future.

Why would someone want to waste time filtering East Coast herps. Vise versa, East coaster don't want to waste time filtering through California herps. If they disagree, its because they agree California's herps are the superior.
Bryan Hamilton

Re: What happened to the forum..I hear Crickets and smell de

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Reports of the death of this forum are frequent and exaggerated.

According to Scott forum visitation has not dropped. I know a ton of folks that are not longer on here though. Not having moderation has chased a lot of people away. The pictures and losing the regional forums have also led to some attrition.

Its just so much easier to use other media to post and communicate.

Kind of like the monty python sketch, "we're not quite dead yet".
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

You've been a member on here for two and a half years and this is the topic of your first post? When you start trying to point the finger, remember three are pointing back at you. 8-)

DOR wrote:The DFG started monitoring the forum and hassling those posting images.

Which one of the 50 state departments, or multiple Federal agencies, should we refer to as "The DFG?" And which members have been subject to hassling?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I tried to overlook this post, but maybe a negative first impression amongst our fellows deserves our best try to access the dimensional unknowns that make up every persona.

I really do wonder if you are kidding, about this east coast west coast thing, about herps.

Is it some kind of state pride that you are carrying over unto herps??

Are you more interested in California herps than animals that occur other places? Overspecialization can be tricky.

Are you grumpy? You seem grumpy.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

We need a hip hop parody of eastcoast vs westcoast herps.

Where's Porter when you need him ..
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

I have been way less active lately, but not because of other media, because of personal time. I just wanted to say I actually like the posts NOT from my area better. Living vicariously. Why would I look at pictures of herps that I can go and look at in real life? I prefer the pics of the ones that I can only hope to find the time/money to go see.
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

Lots of good herps on both coasts, not to mention I happen to come and look often for Asia and South American posts :) If I strike out on all of the above, watching the fight club in news and board line are always entertaining. Forums did die but this is one of the best remaining.
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

Which one of the 50 state departments, or multiple Federal agencies, should we refer to as "The DFG?" And which members have been subject to hassling?
Yes indeed, not disputing anything here, just wanting more information. This sounds interesting and possibly untrue (again, not outright disputing, just being characteristically critical).
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

I know that I have neglected to contribute on FHF for years, for reasons ranging from laziness to spending too much time on FB. Back in the early 2000's this was THE place to be and I learned an exorbitant amount of herp information. I do, however, still come here often and lurk and make a couple dumb comments here and there. I hope it never dies-off, there is still a lot of good content within these pages. So damnit people, keep posting.

As for what the OP said about west coast herps being superior.....sounds like you need to get out from under that bridge.

-Jake
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

DOR wrote:The DFG started monitoring the forum and hassling those posting images.

Which one of the 50 state departments, or multiple Federal agencies, should we refer to as "The DFG?" And which members have been subject to hassling?[/quote]

The mention of the California chapter forum should tell you he is a Californian, so the DFG is CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (new name...stupid, but new...) :lol:
fringe

Post by fringe »

DOR wrote:How to revive the FHF??The DFG started monitoring the forum and hassling those posting images. Later the deletion of the CALIFORNIA forum by Scott sealed its dreadful future.If they disagree, its because they agree California's herps are the superior.
You wait until your father gets home mister!! :x